For Sale: 1962 Cadillac DeVille PARK AVENUE 4dr Hardtop, 42K miles, A/C, Laurel metallic - $32,000 - Rapid City, SD - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 Cadillac DeVille PARK AVENUE 4dr Hardtop, 42K miles, A/C, Laurel metallic - $32,000 - Rapid City, SD

1962 Cadillac Deville park avenue for sale by owner - Rapid City, SD - craigslist
Seller's Description:

This is an all original 1962 Cadillac Deville PARK AVENUE! This is one of only 2600 ever produced and 1 of very few Cadillacs offered in dusty rose pink (Laurel metallic). This car runs and drives amazing. It has just turned over 42,000 miles. Heat and A/C work great, new brakes, tires, full service, etc. This car is ready to drive anywhere from the minute you buy it. Have put on over a thousand miles in the last few months and it's been in a lot of the car shows in town.
Copy and paste in your email: 761c4aaab3a53ac0a040a26944244572@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 Cadillac DeVille PARK AVENUE 4dr Hardtop.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 2,600 1962 Cadillac DeVille PARK AVENUE 4dr Hardtops built.

Note: Cadillac, responding to customer complaints about the long, extended deck that had become the norm causing garaging and parking issues, created the short-lived 1961-'63 Town Sedan and Park Avenue models which are 215" OAL rather than the standard 222" OAL.   For 1961 began offered the Series 62 DeVille Town Sedan (3,756), followed by the widened 1962 selection of Series 62 Town Sedan (2,600) and Series 62 DeVille Park Avenue (2,600).  Then, reduced to only the 1963 Series 62 DeVille Park Avenue (1,575).  In each year, the standard length 222" OAL 4-window four door hardtops outsold these short deck models by multiple numbers.   Ironically, just a few years prior, the most popular Cadillac Series 62 sedan ranged in the 215" OAL category.

Some analysis of this short-deck program also credits the effect the 1961 Lincoln Continental had on Cadillac sales management thinking given its overall length was only 212.4", presented a trim, new dimension in luxury cars. 

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD a.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD b.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD c.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD d.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD e.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD f.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD g.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD h.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD i.jpg

'62 Cadillac PARK AVENUE SD j.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Coreected color name to Laurel metallic (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Overall I would say this is a car that makes a statement. Great style and the material that was used on the interior looks fantastic. That said, the first picture looking at the grill seems as though there is some rust at the front of the hood. Is there any other rust issues? The ask is a stretch IMO. 

• Like 1

Scam? $32K for a 4-door HT with a rusty hood? One CL pic shows a rather scruffy looking section of the engine compartment  Pics look old to me and not current. Winter pics, summer pics, car shows, different locations.  The was no 1962 Cadillac color called dusk rose pink. Finally the VIN nunber shown in the CL ad is not for a 1962 Cadillac, it should be a 9 character number starting with 62 then a letter, not a later 17 character number with a bar code. Things just don't add up here. "Ready to drive anywhere from the minute you buy it." Who talks like that anyway? 

Edited by The 55er (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

Maybe because I'm on a phone, but I didn't see a VIN in the craigslist page. CL may require a modern 17-digit VIN format, who knows? New-to-old-cars owners are always getting thwarted by online VIN decoders; there are VIN questions every day on two other forums I'm on.

The color is actually called "Laurel metallic". Olds and Buick used it too as "Sunset Mist" and "Camelot Rose" respectively, and Oldsmobile carried it into 1963 as "Antique Rose". GM being GM the Cadillac color formula may have been very slightly different to maintain Cadillac distinctiveness.

Olds and Cadillac also had a gorgeous metallic lavender in 1962 called "Heather" which, surprisingly, Buick didn't use. These light metallics are all definitive early-60s Space Age colors.

Olds discontinued "Heather" mid-year 1962 and replaced it with a bright red called "Chariot Red" (same as Chevrolet "Roman Red"). It was popular on Starfires but fire chief car red just didn't suit an Oldsmobile in my eyes. Any red has to have a lot of brightwork to avoid looking like a low-level fleet car.

And off I go on another tangent!☺️

• Thanks 2

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Cadillac DeVille PARK AVENUE 4dr Hardtop, 42K miles, A/C, Laurel metallic - $32,000 - Rapid City, SD - Not Mine