'54 Plymouth Savoy

I saw this a few days ago, and was astounded at the seller's asking price, given that it's a roller with no  engine or transmission. The red and white paint doesn't look original. Opinions?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/756066852947018/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid"%3A"-3198152082666640068"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"4018999137439167004"%2C"commerce_rank_

Plymouth Savoy.jpg

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)

1954 Plymouth Savoy

$30,000
Listed 2 days ago in Reading, PA
Save

About This Vehicle

Driven 111,111 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Red
Fuel type: Gasoline

Seller's Description

• Condition
    Used - like new
No motor no transmission  Body is an excellent condition. It’s a good project car for somebody that wants to drop a motor and tranny in it. 

For the record, 1954 Plymouth Savoys & Plazas didn't have the upper taillight fins, it was a Belvedere only thing. Someone apparently put a lot of work into this car with the paint & chrome but the price should be a lot closer to $3K than $30K for this particular model car and what you're getting. Maybe the seller is "numbers dyslexic" and didn't mean to type in 30,000 but I really think this just another throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks fishing expedition hoping to find a novice (stupid) buyer that doesn't know any better. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sal Hepatica said:

Shaved hood and trunk, '54 "fins" removed. Resale red. No interior photos. Not only a non runner, no drive train. Someone's vision of a mild custom.

I think the owner is deep, deep in the bucket. Any guesses what price would move this? 

If I owned a 53 or 54 I might give a grand or so if it looked solid after inspection.  These as we all know are not high dollar cars in the best shape. Just getting it running and fixing the inevitable problems that will show up might get you to the break even point. I did see a customized  53 at a show several years ago that had a relatively stock drive train( dual carb setup and fancy plug wires) but even that looked funny to me.

1 hour ago, marty14 said:

Awwww…. Come on.  I’ve seen on TV where they put in a LS motor and complete drivetrain in during the 30 minute episode.  Maybe 2 episodes.  
It can’t be that difficult. 

Doesnt every motor fit into every chassis? 😁

• Haha 4

I would say that if someone wanted to drop 20k down a dry well this would the project for him. Immediate 20,k hole that you would never recover from. I anyone offers 5K he should take the money and cut his losses. 

• DrumBob changed the title to '54 Plymouth Savoy

Cars at Mecum are in spectacular condition as you know, and they get top dollar for everything. The guy selling this car is in for a rude awakening when nobody responds. Or better yet, when people start telling him he's crazy or on drugs. 

Yes, the color doesn't look right. Also, did Plymouth offer that kind of two tone paint scheme in '54? The price is drastically wrong, but the car is cool otherwise.

Sometimes I'll see a product being sold online (new) by a reputable dealer at a given price, then I'll see the same product being sold used by a guy on eBay who only has five reviews...and he wants more than what the new item is selling for.  Not talking about old collectibles, just everyday stuff. There are some people who just aren't aware of the environment that they're operating in. They aren't aware of market realities, so they ask an unrealistic price. Kind of sad, really. Could be a widow selling her late husband's car.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Yes, the color doesn't look right. Also, did Plymouth offer that kind of two tone paint scheme in '54? The price is drastically wrong, but the car is cool otherwise.

Sometimes I'll see a product being sold online (new) by a reputable dealer at a given price, then I'll see the same product being sold used by a guy on eBay who only has five reviews...and he wants more than what the new item is selling for.  Not talking about old collectibles, just everyday stuff. There are some people who just aren't aware of the environment that they're operating in. They aren't aware of market realities, so they ask an unrealistic price. Kind of sad, really. Could be a widow selling her late husband's car.

Or just plain GREED....

Plymouth did not offer that paint scheme with the lower quarters painted the same color as the roof in 1953, 1954 or any other year for that matter. There is a diagonal body brace at the lower rear quarter behind the rear wheel where dust & road dirt collected over the years and along with the typical lower areas around the stone guard & rocker panels these were common rust out areas. My guess is there was some rust there that was repaired and the easiest solution was to paint the lower quarters to match the top. IMO it does nothing to help sell the car or make it more attractive, it's just pointing out a problem area that needed to be fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1