1946 Chrysler Town and Country Conv. Woody 48k actual miles - $58,950 (salem, iowa))

https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/cto/d/salem-1946-chrysler-town-and-country/7673708536.html

Great project from and elderly man's estate sale. Clean original car with one repaint in original color. Unrestored wood in excellent condition. Straight 8 cyl. and fluid drive trans. Very nice interior and near mint chrome in interior and very clean exterior chrome. Nice solid original. Runs great but brakes need attention. Needs a little work a week or two and be driving this to shows or restore. Wood is original in great shape with original clear patina. Was last driven by elderly man not many years ago often as this was one of his favorite cars in his collection. Can store for months if needed for free with payment until shipper can pick up. Located se iowa. 52649 Zip code  (319) 931-7141 Jeff Cleere

00Y0Y_ackfG2tPqiL_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

01111_cIZW7FDTjf2_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01313_4LEE69vJXb1_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00404_FtqhMdp52W_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_idxxMe2cleW_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I really like the look of this T&C!  You usually only see examples that have had a six-figure restoration and look it.  I especially like the blackwall tires with the white painted "doughnut" beauty rings.  If I had that kind of money, I would love to just clean this up a bit and enjoy it "as is."  But I don't have that kind of money!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, classiclines said:

I think this is the best picture - for the folks who "just have-to-have a backup camera," this dash provides the perfect location...   :)  :) 

I agree! My pic is being used by a local radio station for their promotion work.

IMG_1990.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, neil morse said:

I really like the look of this T&C!  You usually only see examples that have had a six-figure restoration and look it.  I especially like the blackwall tires with the white painted "doughnut" beauty rings.  If I had that kind of money, I would love to just clean this up a bit and enjoy it "as is."  But I don't have that kind of money!

I would have to agree with Neil on this one. The only Town and Countries that I have seen have been large dollar restorations, where you could eat off of any part in the engine bay. The dash is absolutely beautiful (great styling). My only thoughts were that you might be able to sand the wood and clear coat it to get rid of the scratches and the engine bay could use a little clean up. GLWTS

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Well I do agree with the interior as it looks pretty good.  But I hate the colors used on the wheels and those tractor tires have got to go.  Moreover the tan colored top just doesn't work with other colors of the car.  On top of that the seller notes that it needs brake work.  Many of the cars I have bought they needed brake drums, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and master cylinders so I assume the worst and hope for the best.  Needless to to say I don't skimp on brakes!  For 58K I not feeling it... That's big asking price so the seller can give buyer the privilege of spending more money on the car. Another thing, if the car runs why is the air cleaner missing and the carburetor covered with plastic?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MGRAB said:

Nice car but, pretty sure it is the one that sold for $44k in June at the Wheeler auction.. at least looks like it to me.

I think you are correct.

I spoke with the seller and he said he bought this car and maybe another one at an estate auction. The car was one of many others in the collection.

He then said that he buys cars at estate sales, gets them running, cleans them up and then drives them around for the summer then "flips" (his words) them. 

The air cleaner is there but he took it off to get a better picture of the engine. 

As far as the wood goes (his words again) the guy he bought it from did not want to refinish it because it is (supposedly) the original finish from when the car was new. Also, the interior was redone.

Overall the car looks solid and if I had the room/cash I'd be a serious buyer on this one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MGRAB said:

Nice car but, pretty sure it is the one that sold for $44k in June at the Wheeler auction.. at least looks like it to me.

You would be surprised how much dealer inventory comes from public auctions.   The number of people that will buy sight unseen or can be present is very small vs those that want to take their time with a standard transaction.   If he bought it right at 44K he may end up making money.  It happens all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly same car sold last weekend in Belgium Bonhams auction for 50.000 euro plus 18% .I played along till 40K but then i let it go .nice driving original car , seats a little bit worn, nice chrome .The owner died about 3 years ago and it sat since then  .Never been restored .

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/28312/lot/188/1946-chrysler-new-yorker-town-and-country-woodie-convertible-chassis-no-7401313-engine-no-c39-12062/

• Like 1