For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced - 10/19 New photos - 10/20 Increased - 11/11 Not Sold

For sale on Facebook: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible in Orange Park, FL  -  $37,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 10/20, Seller increased price to $49,950 and relisted on Facebook

Link to relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1387608482111987/-1959-Ford-Skyliner-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible

• Driven 999 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Black 

1959 Ford Skyliner · Convertible · Driven 999 miles 352ci Interceptor V8, Auto, PS, PB, cold A/C, working original radio, tissue dispenser, complete restoration in 1994.

Runs and drives excellent. Needs a top service which is scheduled for 3 weeks from now, price is negotiable with or without top service, delivery possible, beautiful car.

See walk-around video.

It is the first "photo" in the Facebook ad.

image.png.652ecfef5a84c2230f62f073a055c001.png

image.png.d49b57c034935fd976355d92f60347a8.png

image.png.b7eeaa703116c960daef300e67178217.png

image.png.587360edbc07dca730f6aabbdaf73d6b.png

image.png.124f9044474796c4bb35944c44f8eb53.png

image.png.8acee186b22b6d3d5ccae3e67b9b3e73.png

image.png.8a01cf87e6bbf405c7560b57fe02eeb0.png

image.png.6e1df71b18e006e04aeed8401bb8611c.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

umm, these Skyliner's have a big selling point; the retractable hard top.  There are no pictures of the top in action not are there any pictures of the trunk.  I know the seller indicates the top needs serviced (I'd say repaired).  But it occurs to me when you want to sell a car for good money the number 1 feature that the car is known should work and be featured in the ad.  I think the seller put the cart before horse here.  I do like the car.  The black and coral paint combination is punchy and gives the car great curb appeal. I am pretty sure the A/C work because there is an aftermarket compressor installed! Overall the car looks clean and nicely restored

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I agree 100%. Usually you see these Skyliners advertised with the hard top partially opened that demonstrates the hydraulics needed for the operation are in good working order. The ask is realistic and this is a beautiful car (love the colors) but there should be a discount for the non op hard top. My best friend had a '57 Skyliner back in the 70s, great car. 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of the 59 Fords but this one is the exception. The colors and styling really shows the extravagant mood of that time. Too bad about the top and trunk lid otherwise the price would seem realistic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TerryB said:

The trunk slightly ajar is probably an indicator of work needed to retract the top.  Love the color combo and the interior.  The seller get a 👍 for doing a decent job on the pictures in the ad.

The trunk would worry me more than the top that does not retract. Does this mean that there is no way to seal the storage compartment in the event of rain? That would be a good question for the seller. I agree nice job on all of the pics by the seller. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 9:41 PM, kingrudy said:

The trunk would worry me more than the top that does not retract. Does this mean that there is no way to seal the storage compartment in the event of rain? That would be a good question for the seller. I agree nice job on all of the pics by the seller. 

I have a ‘57. You can purchase a cover for the storage area, if you have the box installed, that would keep water out. Without the box, you probably wouldn’t put anything back there anyway.  I’d be more concerned with water finding its way inside the car when it’s raining. Also the wipers on mine are not very good, and I’d assume these are similar, so I don’t drive it in the rain unless I get caught like I did about a week ago. It was a downpour and the wipers couldn’t keep up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, if you fix the top, the trunk will close right. I’ve had mine adjusted a couple times, mostly after shipping the car, and it hasn’t been real problematic for the guys who worked on it, including Jack, who is an active member in this forum. (It’s not hydraulic, but electric, with switches and solenoids.)

This car is nicely optioned with the padded dash and ac. It also has the tissue box, so I am pretty sure it has other options as well. I really wish mine had ac here in Florida, but at least there are air vents which help when you are moving. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am the current owner/caretaker of this one and the one who posted the ad on Facebook.

I welcome any/all questions and thank you all for the nice words and the good questions..

We just got the car back from the shop last weekend.  The top is now working perfect and has a 6 month warranty.  And, yes, it does close all the way down now as it should.  I do have a video and will post new photos soon.  The car will also have decals and a better detailed engine bay, wheels painted the body color of Geranium, Sunray Hubcaps, and correct wide white wall tires.  The car also had a full brake job and tune up check/inspection.  The trunk has a cover that says “Skyliner” on it.  Also has a new set of mats that go with it.

Those interested in what the issue with the top was that an amateur last owner tried to mess with it and didn’t know what he was doing.  The person who restored it had it hooked to a remote at one point (key fob type) and that was part of the problem.  Thankfully, we have an expert on these tops down here in Florida.  I am not one myself!

I will still consider selling for the same price you see despite the extra dollars spent.  It was all built into it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JasonD said:

I am the current owner/caretaker of this one and the one who posted the ad on Facebook.

I welcome any/all questions and thank you all for the nice words and the good questions..

We just got the car back from the shop last weekend.  The top is now working perfect and has a 6 month warranty.  And, yes, it does close all the way down now as it should.  I do have a video and will post new photos soon.  

JasonD,

Thank you for the update on your very appealing Skyliner!

We look forward to seeing new photos and your video soon.

• Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced: "works perfectly"
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced: "works perfectly" - 10/19 Seller posts new photos

I will be deleting the original Facebook ad/photos/description and making a new one with a higher price to troll around that reflects the market and condition, but please understand that it’s still possible to buy the car for the original price or close to it.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced: "works perfectly" - 10/19 New photos - 10/20 Increased

On 10/20,

Seller increased price to $49,950* and relisted on Facebook: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible in Orange Park, FL  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link to relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1387608482111987/-1959-Ford-Skyliner-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible

• Driven 999 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Off-white
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problem

See walk-around video.

It is the first "photo" in the Facebook ad.

*Seller "JasonD" stated on 10/20 (original comment above):

"I will be deleting the original Facebook ad/photos/description and making a new one with a higher price to troll around that reflects the market and condition, but please understand that it’s still possible to buy the car for the original price ($37,500) or close to it.  Thanks everyone!"

Fully restored during the years 1991-1994 and one family owned until just recently, car show only driven the last 29 years, 352 ci Interceptor V8 (300 HP), Cruise-O-Matic (three speed automatic transmission), factory power steering now updated to modern type, factory power brakes, factory air conditioning now updated to modern type (cold), fully automatic top works perfect with recent service and warranty, brand new correct wide white wall tires, optional Sunray hubcaps, full detail inside and out, new floor mats, recent tuneup/checkup, full brake job, runs and drives excellent, beautiful original ‘59 Ford colors of Geranium and Raven Black with matching interior, original am radio works, very nice always rust free car! Will be on display at the Eight Flags Car Show in historic Downtown Fernandina Beach on Center Street Saturday 10/21 from 8am-3pm if you want to come have a look! Not many of these around!

image.png.d17ec6e5a451ed859428419721226098.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This green one sold at eBay auction today - not same restored condition as this post - but, nice original California car...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166389482079?hash=item26bd96025f:g:jZ8AAOSwvmRlNCD-

Sold - High bid: $23,846

Dealer Ad Copy:  Well kept one owner Northern California Car. Runs as good as it looks. Retractable roof works flawlessly. Lights blinkers gauges horn heater wipers all working. Radio is intermittent and scratchy. Owner was a certified Ford mechanic for 40 years. Original 352 was replaced in the 60s with an early 390 motor out of a police interceptor. The car starts right up and runs smoothly. Transmission is shifting properly. All glass is good. Door & Window mechanisms are all in place and working. Doors shut nice. Tires are newer radials. Stainless & brightwork is all serviceable.  All is in place only showing some minor wear, dings and scuffs. Lacquer paint has had some touch up over the years which makes us consider this only driver quality paint. Overall a solid car that's always been garaged. Solid floorpans, trunk and rockers - no rust.

000000s-l1600.jpg

Pricing has always been a big consideration of mine. I would rather get a nice driver for $24,000 than double that for the originally posted car.  

But there is a lot of money amongst the retirees with salt and pepper hair as evidenced by the winners with their beer guts at the Scottsdale auctions.  They overspend they can’t take it with them.  This original posted car may be perfectly fine for them.  

• Like 2

The rare color combination of Black and Geranium sure puts this one over the top. I have seen many retractable hard tops and my best friend owned one (1957), which IMO is the best year. That said, I have never seen this color combination and it would not have been something that I would have picked, only because I wouldn't have thought of it. I am not sure if the car will bring the 50K ask, but if there is a retractable that is worth that price, this is it. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced - 10/19 New photos - 10/20 Increased - 11/10 SOLD!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Ford Skyliner Convertible - "1994 Restoration, Runs and drives excellent" - Geranium and Black - Orange Park, FL - Not Mine - 10/18 Top serviced - 10/19 New photos - 10/20 Increased - 11/11 Not Sold