1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-Speed

We had one with this color last year.  I really like it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-10/

This 1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am is powered by a 455ci V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission and is finished in Firethorn Red over a Firethorn Red vinyl interior. Equipment includes 15″ Rally II-style wheels, front disc brakes, a limited-slip differential, a Trans Am hood decal, a shaker hood, a rear spoiler, an Edelbrock carburetor and intake manifold, air conditioning, a Hurst shifter, a Kenwood cassette stereo, and power windows. The car was delivered new to Colvin Pontiac of Denver, Colorado, and acquired by the seller in 2004. The shifter box was overhauled in 2022 and the tires were replaced in August 2023. This Trans Am is now offered with service records, literature, removed engine parts, a reproduction window sticker, and a clean Texas title in the seller’s name.

1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_8980c937-303c-4454-b9bc-3a02e8252f6a-4V6TMf-38639-38640-scaled.webp.848ecc7af5e1a4a7b191e23d0e42ef18.webp

1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_9b6108f7-676f-44da-98e0-adfc4a0c6c81-Du9yGs-38655-38656-scaled.webp.93af2f9a0744d5bcf73fc75248bea7f9.webp

1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_c5ca7794-c0ca-4c8e-a820-fac318da5177-jJz8Go-38662-38663-scaled.webp.d45376461cef35045ba69c1441c71950.webp

1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_a9cbdf25-7f2f-4771-8406-719e14d92d18-36XBS4-39242-39243-scaled.webp.21effbfb88c5cacd4f3fff23e3968189.webp

1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_1976_pontiac_firebird-trans-am_82b95f9d-ef41-4482-9a3b-45b6a7a8d2ac-BNQ2fa-39088-39089-scaled.webp.e37c6509c93d761df1a217ee6cd7f372.webp

• Like 8

Apparently it's a numbers matching 455 4spd car.  A 1976 engine didn't put out a lot of horsepower from the factory but the seller rebuilt the engine and claims it now has 400 hp!  I would have to assume this thing would be a blast to drive.  I have a soft spot for Firebirds especially from the early to mid 70's!  It's a pretty car!  Maybe TAkerry can add his thoughts on this one.

Edited by deac (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Nice! Any opinions on what the selling price will be? I've been trying to decide on what to do with mine. Start working on it $$$ or just sell it as it sits and go find a turn key one.

You are always better with someone else's boondoggle unless you really enjoy doing the work yourself.

Kerry will give the best guess on price but I'm thinking 35K.  

• Like 2

Very nice car. Yes, original it was rated at something like 220hp or so. But easy to get more with a decent rebuild. 4 speed is a bonus, I would think 25k-30k would be a good price for this car.

Ed, other than building the motor, these cars are not too bad price wise to build. Although I have noticed as of late that parts are getting more expensive all of the time.  I suppose its the rising tide thing. Just about everything is readily available so they are a pretty easy restore. 76 is not a 'hot' year, but done correctly still a good car to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Have people noticed that, in the Firebird realm,

Trans Ams are far more common today than any

of the lesser Firebirds?  They have been cherished

and preserved.  The same is true, from what I've seen,

with Camaros and their Z28's.

True across the board.   GTO vs Lemans and  SS vs Chevelle also.   Kind of makes sense when you think about it.

• Like 2

I'm not a big follower of these cars, but I admire

the "lesser" models more.  They don't have all the

bolt-on plastic extras;  their styling looks cleaner;

they look better without all the decals;  and they

seem more like drivable, enjoyable regular cars.

I see why aficionados preserved the sportier models,

but the lesser models are a part of GM history too. 

I wish more were still around.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I'm not a big follower of these cars, but I admire

the "lesser" models more.  They don't have all the

bolt-on plastic extras;  their styling looks cleaner;

they look better without all the decals;  and they

seem more like drivable, enjoyable regular cars.

I see why aficionados preserved the sportier models,

but the lesser models are a part of GM history too. 

I wish more were still around.

Simple,  a 455 four speed,  even detuned is a lot more fun than a 350 automatic, also detuned.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, TAKerry said:

Very nice car. Yes, original it was rated at something like 220hp or so. But easy to get more with a decent rebuild. 4 speed is a bonus, I would think 25k-30k would be a good price for this car.

Ed, other than building the motor, these cars are not too bad price wise to build. Although I have noticed as of late that parts are getting more expensive all of the time.  I suppose its the rising tide thing. Just about everything is readily available so they are a pretty easy restore. 76 is not a 'hot' year, but done correctly still a good car to have. 

Yes. I've owned quite few over the years, but since the prices started climbing, been sitting on the fence. I prefer the 76 for the round headlights. It needs interior and a bunch of stuff to be put back on. Was painted over 10 yrs ago and still not done. 

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sold for 28,500.  Seems like a deal.  Looks like the Trans Ams that bring the money besides the SD cars are the later Y84 Black and Gold ones and the Silver Anniversery to a lesser degree.

I will add that the Pace cars to your list.  For 28K the buyer bought a whole bunch of fun at a fair price!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The 76 455 had the same hp rating as the higher end 400 (w72) in 77. 78 had a bit of hp boost on top of that. The early cars up through 73, are generally the most desirable. 77 s.e. is still commanding top dollar, followed by a 78 and 79 s.e. The 10th anniv. cars dont get as much love as I wish they did. The low mile originals seem to have a high asking price though,  4 speeds getting a premium. Pace cars are the same deal, low mile original examples will get a premium.

Of course anything super duty is $$$$$$$$

This 76 sold for just about what I though it would. Def a nice car but right in line with the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sold for 28,500.  Seems like a deal.  Looks like the Trans Ams that bring the money besides the SD cars are the later Y84 Black and Gold ones and the Silver Anniversery to a lesser degree.

Kerry,  how does the 455 in this car compare to the W72 in those?

It was a deal. To me up here in Canada. The exchange rate is really bad if you are earning and spending Canadian $$ Vs. USA $$. It would be $38450 in Canadian. So until the exchange rate goes back to the old days of almost par, it's just more than I can swing.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, alsancle said:

Simple,  a 455 four speed,  even detuned is a lot more fun than a 350 automatic, also detuned.

Oh Yeah!

I was offered a 1972 big Pontiac Catalina convertible this week. Has a lot of filler, needing cosmetics, so I declined. As I was ready to leave my buddy said it has a smooth running original 455! Stopped me dead in my tracks, as I assumed it was a Canadian car with a small block 350 Chevy. So my dilemma is buy it and swap in the 455/automatic into my 1976 Trans Am and put the 350 Chevy currently in the 76 T/A back in the  Catalina.

A 1972 vintage 455 is a sweet engine to have in a 2nd Gen. 

• Like 1

I may be wrong (as I usually am) but I think the big car 455's may have been built a little different than the firebirds. May be a 2 barrel and not have as much hp as one would think but still with the 10-12 mpg. Its the same motor so it would fit ok and could be built nicely, but a Pontiac rebuild comes with a premium dollar wise. I would def. rather have the Pontiac 455 than a chevy 350 in a 76 trans am and it will help the resale if youre ever after that part of it. If you can get that car for a good price, swap the motor then sell the Cat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wmtunate said:

Why is the TRANS AM logo on the trunk so far off center?

Restored and placed there incorrectly perhaps. 

I am a "kicker of myself" so often I am sore.  I owned one of those orange-red 1976 Trans Ams back in 1985.  Solid, took over the loan and paid off the $900 loan, sold it.   I think $500 or so in 1986. 

I purchased a 1979 Arizona solid no rust Trans Am with 10th anniversary fenders and such - actually bought it off an add on this forum - and sold it 8 years ago.  I think I threw it on eBay and got $800 for it.  Now I am looking and the cheapest I can find is a 1981 Formula basket case for $2,000 or offer and I am sure it will sell.  

Most "projects" seem to be asking $6,000.  Nice ones on facebook marketplace are $25,000 + asking.  

On 9/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, TAKerry said:

I may be wrong (as I usually am) but I think the big car 455's may have been built a little different than the firebirds. May be a 2 barrel and not have as much hp as one would think but still with the 10-12 mpg. Its the same motor so it would fit ok and could be built nicely, but a Pontiac rebuild comes with a premium dollar wise. I would def. rather have the Pontiac 455 than a chevy 350 in a 76 trans am and it will help the resale if youre ever after that part of it. If you can get that car for a good price, swap the motor then sell the Cat.

Yes. I'm thinking the same thing. Years ago I owned a 1976 T/A 455 4 speed. White with Firethorn interior. It was ordered with no console, crank windows and A/C. Bought it from original owners estate where it sat in a damp leaky barn for too long. Also bought a 77 Formula from Oregon with a super clean body to use for a swap out. Ended up selling them while waiting to get it in a body shop. So far the Cat convertible is too much money, but I can wait it out as the Chevy 350 has lots of oomph....for now. Just out of barn storage this summer. Needs plenty of cleaning etc.

transam+ 133.jpg

• Like 1