Monterey Car Week sales marked a 16% drop amid disappointing auctions

Reynard

I personally wish AACA moderators would ban members from simply uploading articles from sites like msn. We are all capable of searching for such articles if we want them. Postings on here should be of things posters want to discuss and should start with the posters own thoughts on the topic, not some uploaded junk. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I attended three of the top auctions, and prices were what one would expect for decent cars, and the no sale cars were in poor condition or overpriced. I only saw a very small handful of bargains. One thing I did notice was the auctions had many more cars, multiple day sales, and things were dragging or then they were trying to play hurry up. All bad things for the sellers. In a few instances they were just blowing by cars way too fast……….they would be better served to limit the numbers they consign, and keep a steady pace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

The heading for this thread is written in true MSN form! Begrudgingly looking over the article it states that the auction sales this year were the second highest (last year being the highest) they have had. 

It's the same logic GM used to justify killing off Oldsmobile and later Pontiac. Olds market was traditionally about half a million cars a year. Then in the 70s and 80s they hit a million cars a year a few times.

When GM gave Oldsmobile corporatized crap to sell, sales went back to 500k/yr or less and the corporation started yelling about disappointing sales figures. Never mind people saw thru the badge engineering and the market corrected itself.

Same thing happened with this auction. When worth is valued solely by financial gain, and things gradually (or suddenly) correct, naturally people for whom losing a dollar is cause for suicide are going to lose their minds.

Markets correct all the time. No cause for alarmist headlines.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Rocketrader - has a 100 percent correct economic analysis…….no hysteria ……….just facts and markets adjusting. Supply and demand. I can’t wait till the bottom falls out on 95 point open DV-32 Stutz’s. I’m gonna buy a dozen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Interesting comparison to the Rollston, which brought 1.5 million. Theoretically identical chassis with a slightly less desirable body. I wonder why there is a $1.3 million difference in sale value?

• Like 1

I saw the LeBaron Stutz when we toured the Adderley collection at a CCCA annual meeting some years ago when I still belonged to that club. Neat car indeed but the color just put me off- modern colors on the car just don't work - use period colors and the car will "warm up" and reflect the period it was made. Most of the time subtle colors allow the lines of the style of the car to be appreciated more. I can't tell you how many cars the owners have asked me to pick the color for and then they were painted. I can see what the car will look like in my minds eye when it is done. It is my knowledge of what is period correct coupled with my study in the field of art and then teaching same for 35+ years.  An artistic historian? that was what someone called me once - not sure if I agree totally with that, but the understanding and appreciation of one aspect will then bring together a whole picture .I have hundreds of color chips that are about 3 x 4 1/2 inches of the 1929 to 1935 era  that I bought decades ago. Formulas on the back of each are now not current BUT at least give an idea of what was used then so modern colors can be adapted.  One needs to be taught to see what you are looking at.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Interesting comparison to the Rollston, which brought 1.5 million. Theoretically identical chassis with a slightly less desirable body. I wonder why there is a $1.3 million difference in sale value?

And from the same collection. 

Imagine the dual-cowl stutz in black with black-walls.   Sweet!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Looks like the Adderly Collection bought that same car in 2015 for $522K.  Eight years later, sold for $190K, minus all the fees to the auction house. Ouch.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1