1-of-2 Ferrari 412P Sells for $30.25M at Monterey Auction

Twisted Shifter

(FYI: You could buy 751 new Tesla 3's @ $40,240. each for $30,250,000)

Bonhams

One-of-two Ferrari 412P Berlinetta sold for $30.25 million at the Bonhams auction on Friday, breaking Bonham's record. 

This Ferrari raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 1,000 Kilometers of Spa, and won the 1968 Nuremburg 200 Kilometers. While it wasn't the most decorated Ferrari race car of its time, its incredible rarity and real racing pedigree make it drool-worthy for rich collectors.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/1-of-2-ferrari-412p-sells-for-30m-at-monterey-auction/ar-AA1fwWYb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=03c0c20047c348c5aa66252030149597&ei=62

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

• Twisted Shifter changed the title to 1-of-2 Ferrari 412P Sells for $30.25M at Monterey Auction

I was watching the awards ceremony for Pebble yesterday and they had comedian Adam Corolla (who is also a pretty hard core car guy) sit in as a guest commentator. Love him or hate him, his one comment was, "Looking out over this field of amazing cars, all the investment and work, this beautiful setting and, well, this is why the terrorists hate us."

• Haha 2

I have never put a lot of stock in the fabled auction prices. Even at the small local dealer level things can be pretty shady. Playing with more money just gets you better quality walnut shells and peas.

I like the comment on the terrorists. I did a job up in Malone, New York in 2011. Malone is close to the US border and there were a lot of treats and activity going on at that time. The hotel I stayed at left the local paper outside the door each morning. One day the classified had an ad for a Chevy 4WD truck listed for $2500 cash or trade for rifles. I thought about that potential terrorist traveling half way around the world to Canada and sneaking across the border to find himself in a country where the locals traded trucks for guns, something that would have been unheard of in their country of origin or almost anywhere else in the world. Reading that ad would have made the bad guy feel like he had walked into the bar full of vampires in the "Dusk til Dawn" movie.

Makes me want to watch The 49th Parallel again.

Apparently the Ferrari doesn't mean much to me.

You know although I do like cars, especially old ones, I cannot comprehend the drive to have the “best” most expensive car/truck ever made.  After all these are toys no matter how much they cost. And available cash determines money for toys.  I just cannot get the image of Wealthy folks just playing a game of one up man ship in cars as in so much else. Boats, homes, resorts, etc.  A case of look at me, see what I got that you don’t.  I rarely ever even look at ads for cars out of my league since dreaming about the impossible is not really what I do.  I don’t disagree that folks can buy what they like and do what they want with it. I just don’t care.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

You know although I do like cars, especially old ones, I cannot comprehend the drive to have the “best” most expensive car/truck ever made.  After all these are toys no matter how much they cost. And available cash determines money for toys.  I just cannot get the image of Wealthy folks just playing a game of one up man ship in cars as in so much else. Boats, homes, resorts, etc.  A case of look at me, see what I got that you don’t.

There was this older gentleman who owned a lumberyard across the busy street from my old high school.  His lumberyard was making great money and the property itself was worth a lot of money.  Besides owning the business and the property it sat on, he also owned a two storey office building across the street, another two storey office building to the rear of the lumberyard.  To the north, he also owned one-storey building to, and two lots which were both leased, one to an A&W franchisee (when it was still a Drive-In), and a used car dealer.  His car?  A plain-spec Valiant four door sedan.  I don't recall seeing him drive anything else; it was most of his tenants who drove 'nice' cars!

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelfish said:

Just park this one next to it.

image.jpeg.e50511847d5298475d0c2263e9408f31.jpeg

I think 30 mil would get a prospective buyer in the owners office for that one. But number 6 in 1969  ( #1075 chassis ) two time .. consecutive.. wins at LeMans... not a chance @ 30 mil.

Talk about unique. There is only one. 

9 minutes ago, BillinMd said:

I think 30 mil would get a prospective buyer in the owners office for that one. But number 6 in 1969  ( #1075 chassis ) two time .. consecutive.. wins at LeMans... not a chance @ 30 mil.

Talk about unique. There is only one. 

I wish to clarify: that is the #6 car, only in 1968 dress  My comments on price are completely wrong. 30 mil wouldn't get you in the office. A truly historic automobile.

Money never impresses me, in the least.

Therefore, I'm not impressed by someone's

great expenditure.  Couldn't he have put the

funds to a higher purpose?

I've known truly wealthy people who are modest.

I appreciate the better qualities of modesty,

excellence without pretentiousness, intelligence,

judgment, ethics, and so on.

• Like 1