Mothballs Are Combustible/Flammable (Naphthalene) Now What?

leomara

I've been using mothballs for years to successfully keep vermin out of my engine compartment on a vehicle parked outside.  I kept them in small plastic containers with holes mounted on top of both inside fender wells under the hood.  Now I've come to know they are combustible according to what is printed on the box.  Substitutions???   

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

I would think they'd be ok to use if there are no heat or ignition sources within a couple feet of them. Do you drive the car with the mothball containers in place?

The flash point of Naphthalene is 174F and the autoignition temperature is 979F...   I 2nd Glenn's comment.   But..., removing the containers before letting the closed

engine compartment heat up will provide added safety...

The damn pesky vermin...!

Paul

@leomara we don't have mice issues, we have snake and scorpion issues so a lot less mice to deal with, however, after talking to our pest control guy my understanding is that peppermint oil will deter mice. If I had a mice problem I'd probably try this method next. 

Here's How To Use Peppermint Tea Bags To Keep Mice Away - Pest Pointers

• Thanks 1

Yes Rocketraider I've been driving the vehicle with the mothballs in place with no incidents.

Problem Solved:  This product and it's reviews indicates it works using oils to produce an odor that mice and other vermin do not like.

Wanqueen 4 Pack Rodent Repellent for Car Engines

Edited by leomara (see edit history)