Gearbox and diff oil required - 1926 Buick

Rodney

Its not so much "old" versus "modern" as "flash temperature of the oil in Fahrenheit" vs "viscosity". 600W has become a brand. Maybe it always was. Today it's owned by Mobil. With that out of the way....

600W was and is steam cylinder oil, also rated for gears in steam equipment, especially worm gears. Steam cylinder oil was really heavy, or at least it seemed that way at room temperature. In the days before cars were everywhere, automakers used it because it was there, and it was OK for gears. The thickness helps slow down transmission gears when there is no synchromesh. When the automakers replaced 600W with mineral oil in the mid 30s, that was SAE 180. SAE viscosity ratings are ranges, not specific viscosities, and SAE 180 is a deprecated standard, and nobody seems to know exactly what range of viscosities it covered. Maybe someday we will have an SAE member in here who can figure it out and tell us. Today we have SAE 140 and SAE 250. It is very likely that SAE 250 is the closest substitute, but I have no hard proof of that.

Model As predate the change of common automotive gear oil from 600W steam oil to the supposedly equivalent SAE 180 mineral oil. As such, a lot of Model A owners want 600W and ask for it by name. What you are getting might be Mobil 600W brand steam oil (today available in 2 different grades) or it might just be an appropriate substitute for use in an unsynchronized transmission. Maybe SAE 250? You'd have to ask the vendor. If you just want oil for an unsynchronized transmission it probably doesn't make any difference which it is. Any substitute for 600W in a car should be pretty thick.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/product.htm?pid=980305&cat=41748

This is re-bottled modern Chevron Meropa 600wt/SAE250

Has all the modern additives including EP and anti oxidation safe with all metals. 

Been using it for decades in my 1923 Buick as have thousands of Model T and A users. 

Anything lighter and your transmission will not shift as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An additional comment.

Steam cylinder oil is still available and required for steam engines as it is lard based and dissolves in steam and is ‘carried’ to the bore/ring surfaces. 

Back in the day, it was the only heavy lube readily available.  There are far better petroleum based lubes with modern additives included now available in a heavy viscosity similar to that of steam cylinder oil. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Gearbox and diff oil required - 1926 Buick

Rodney, 

This blend is what I use in my 1925 Buick and 1922 Dodge.  I have used 600W and M-533 in the transmission and I have not been happy with them.  Any of these are fine for the rear axle, but the transmission is where you will really love or hate an oil.    Hugh

600 W, also called Steam oil, is a very heavy gear oil.    Used by OEM in rear axles, transmission, steering boxes.  It is very thick.  It has less of a tendency to leak out.  

600W is old junk. IMO

Rear axles.  Fine.  Not a super harsh service.  There are better alternatives.  At least use Snyders M-533. 

For the transmission (as recommended by the Model A club, and I also recommend using the synthetic versions.)

60% Lucas 80/90 gear oil

40% Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer

This is a modern blend.  The transmission shifts so much better.  These oils are locally available as well. I have bought it at Walmart.

• Like 3