Waking up from a long nap

avantey

Very exciting weekend as our '38 Roadmaster is finally cleaned up and running again.  Been off the road since about 2000 as other toys joined the party and took priority.  But she's back now!

Still got work to do -; leaky water pump, carb rebuild and spme electrical/ lighting gremlins but we're over the hump with it running awesome, driving and stopping.

Got to see it like this again and remember why I fell in love and bought it!  What a pretty car with great lines!!

IMG_20230708_151433.jpg

IMG_20230708_151449.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Looks like you're roughly 60 miles West of where I am.  Maybe we'll cross paths sometime somewhere along Rts. 5 or 20.  Come to think of it, it might be about time to make another trip to Sauders...  ;)

• Like 1

This will be fun but no big event.  Marty has been a friend for 25 years of touring,  Just a nice chance to meet Emtee from these forums for us.  The three cars are already pictured above but my Roadmaster will not be roadworthy now (really bad water pump) and Marty's 37 may stay in the trailer as we're just an overnight stop for them on the way to the Founder's.  It will still be fun to get together especially since Emtee lives in the area!

• Like 2

I had a very nice visit with @avantey and @Marty Roth yesterday.  Somehow I managed to 'thread the needle' through the scattered thunderstorms that were in the area and literally caught only a few drops on the car just as I arrived at Bill's house.  After chatting awhile and learning that Marty was running late due to a trailer issue, we drove my car over to the shop where his '38 Roadmaster is being recommissioned.  I pulled my Century up alongside for some pictures.

image.png.fbf0b60ab802f406551f2bcfc480179b.png

image.png.88b1c043ac0d095a865dc88e6e91ca91.png

image.png.743bd0235d709e4cc11be20d7ae1ad28.png

It was interesting to see the Century and Roadmaster side-by-side.  My overall impression was the Roadmaster looked like a Century that had been stretched a bit in every direction!  The longer wheelbase was pretty obvious and although the front seat is a bit larger the biggest difference was the rear seat space which is significantly larger in the Roadmaster.

image.png.b6254da1e23944bd4778b240834fb6cd.png

image.png.ffb82fd0eeb78315db0d59ff4e585418.png

Marty and Dale finally made it after resolving an issue with the equalizer hitch on their trailer.  It was great to meet them in person and hear Marty tell the story of how he and Dale met.  Both Bill and Marty shamed me with their long unbroken strings of Hershey attendance.  I have officially marked my calendar for next year so I can cross Hershey off my bucket list and remove the albatross!  ;)

Hope Mike gets that new water pump installed  on Bill's Roadie so that he's able to enjoy it before the snow flies!  Hopefully we can meet up again somewhere along Rts. 5 or 20...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Glad you came over Emtee!  Enjoyed meeting you and checking out your car, makes me realize how far I have to go.  Especially liked parking the Century and Roadmaster side by side and comparing them.  Got to see how much bigger in all aspects and slightly better appointed the Roadmaster is.  Also learned the Century is about 800 lbs lighter which is interesting to finally know.  Great day, lots of fun for all!

• Like 3

I have two '38's. A Special coupe and a Roadmaster. As mentioned, the RM is noticably larger and also more refined in the ride. The coupe easier to handle.

None of tha is surprising since they are opposite ends of the Buick price range (almost)

• Like 1

We also noted about a 700 pound weight difference between the two, based on their registered weights.  With the same 320 CID engine, Buick's claimed performance for the Century seems justified.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the visit with @AVANTEY and @EmTee.

When we all met up that afternoon, I really wanted to take our 1937 Roadmaster out of the trailer and get all three Buicks together for an interesting and fun photo-shoot, but honestly, I was pretty well worn out , both from the long drive trailering from the notable hills of central Pennsylvania, as well as from the physical efforts involved in the four hour delay while doing the repairs to our Equalizer Hitch before we could get back on the road.

The following day Dale and I continued onward to the Rainbow Bridge and into Ontario, Canada to enjoy Niagara Falls, and then to London, ON where we got ready to drive the Roadmaster where Ontario Region AACA hosted the 34th Founders Tour jointly with the 66th Annual London-to-Brighton. We actually drove the Ontario Region's London-to-Brighton progressive tour a few years back. At that time we drove our little red 1988 Corvette convertible from New Orleans to Gettysburg, PA where we judged and also were awarded the "Vette's Repeat Preservation, and the continued the drive to Ontario. That year the progressive tour ran from Alliston to Kincardine. As ever, our Canadian hosts did an admirable job providing a thoroughly delightful tour experience.

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick on 2012 Glidden-2.JPG

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With regret, I'm forwarding the sad news that my dear and long time friend Bill Preston, the original poster of this thread,

also known by his AVANTEY handle,

Passed away today.

Bill had been dealing with cancer for an extended time, as well as additional medical issues.

Bill hosted to Glidden Tour in Saratoga Springs, NY in 2021,

and had been instrumental in the Reliability Tour in Geneva, NY,

as well as assisting with several tours in Maine.

Very sorry to her this.  Having met with him at his home just a few weeks ago, I knew he was struggling with his health, but his outlook was optimistic, as evidenced by his desire to get his Roadmaster back on the road.  The hobby has lost someone special.  My condolences to Pam and the rest of his family.

• Like 4