When should you draw the line and not sell someone a vehicle? Especially considering how they plan to get it Home.

Giving this topic a lot of thought. I do not think that I would refuse a sale based on how a person deals with transporting their car. If they buy it, it is theirs to do with as they please. If a buyer hires a shipper, and what shows up is not what a buyer thought he was getting. I would contact the buyer before car was loaded. To make sure they know who and how their car is being transported. I always work with a buyer on getting cars transported. Sometimes it can take awhile before shipping can be arranged.

• Like 5

On 7/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, zepher said:

Great looking TR-6.

Is it a '75?

While not a powerhouse, they are a very fun car to drive.

Setup with the factory exhaust system, the exhaust note is perfect.

It's like a 1975 Miata, but without the reliability or rusted frames! Before you burn me, I'm a former 1974 TR-6 owner. Yep, it was on it's 3rd paint job by 1988. Fun car, but Miata is so much better for a cruise where I don't have to push a car to the curb.

jun18marlinetc 147.jpg

• Like 3

That's a whole lot better rig for sure.  I would have been alot more at ease and alot drier had they showed up with that rig. 

Your convert is cool,  but with the 47 in the garage when you listed it,  I wanted something completely different.  I like variety and buying every body style and color of one particular make/ year really is not the way I want to enjoy the hobby with my limited resources.  Save for a parts car I don't think I have ever had more than one of any particular year or make of car.    Not to say I wouldn't buy another Cord phaeton, but I'm always on the look out for something different from my rather long bucket list.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I really liked your speedster.  More authentic than mine even if it wasn't original.  I always thought it would have been fun to get it going and just beat around with it in primer.  Not many out there in that condition.  Would have truly been a site to see running around.  Blasphemy but if I had the engine that was in my truck to put in it, like you did,  it actually would have been a pretty good runner.  That truck really ran well and had tons of power.  

• Like 1

I have bought two cars in Southern Ca. and brought them home on U Haul car carriers. One car was not a good runner but good enough to drive onto the trailer. A 4,000 pound Jaguar XJS. The second was trailered because i didn't have another driver to drive my first vehicle back. A 3600 lbd '06 Mustang GT.  I towed them with my long wheelbase '07 F150,it  tracked true and steady, and stopped easily. V6 powered but rated for towing 6,000 ilbs. when going over the Cuesta Grade and Grapevine it slowed at the summit, but not one problem with the truck or trailer.  Now I also have a V8 Navigator which is rated for 8,000 lbs. Should tow better than my truck.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I never heard if the guys made it to FL with the Hudson.  My guess is that angel sat on their shoulder for the entire trip.

Interestingly enough I sold my Brockway,  and I was waiting to see what kind of deal was going to show up to pick it up.  One of the questions I asked the guys that inquired was do you have a way to move it?  

I sold it to a guy in NJ with a bunch of trucks.  Talked with the transporter,  he told me he was bringing a low boy. 

I was out dusting the truck off when I heard a truck backing up the main road in front of my house. I went down to see a 50 foot low boy behind a fairly late model Kenworth tractor with sleeper.  He separated  it right in the road (fortunately not a real busy road).  I drove it down the drive way  He put a couple of blocks down and I helped position it and he drove it on.  One shot.  That was backing up hill just because of the way the road is and he was pointed down the hill as he had backed probably an 1/8 mile or more from the bridge they sent him across because he wasn't sure of access. 

Almost overkill, but boy it was nice to see good equipment with a competent operator pick it up.  I had no worry it would arrive in good order. 

Unfortunately I didn't think to get a pic. Wish I had. 

Here is a pic of the truck. 

The new buyer said he is going to strip it and restore it to match his business trucks.  Seems like a shame since i took so much time to get the paint that nice, but I think that sold it. 

IMG_9481.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand your fatherly instinct to protect your baby (the Hudson pickup).

But, your duties as a dad ended when a statement of understanding was signed, and made clear that your responsibility for the care and welfare of the baby was terminated the instant the cash crossed your palm.

Were this a junker (ran when parked 30 years ago) would you still be as concerned about the success or failure of it being transported?

Probably not! But in a humanitarian sense, it would be more understandable if it were a junk truck, being bought as a parts or project vehicle, by a person who may be over spending their budget by paying for it, than a person buying a turn key vehicle for $30 or $40,000.00 dollars.

I’d say that you took on a layer of responsibility that went well beyond what would normally be expected of a seller, and your responsibility to the buyer ended the instant they decided to buy the truck.

IMO🙄.

Jack

IMG_1656.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

anything like that should simply be in an enclosed trailer.......then you can sweep up the wood body nails  or even difficult to reproduce parts etc from the trailer floor ........and maybe a large chunk of something ........that otherwise could be embedded in some kids eye socket a hour back on the hwy in following vehicle .........i too hauled similar home but usually not great distance.... and thought it was all good and part way home checking or all the way home found wood body rusted nails to a window crank and steel wood body bracket.......on the deck of the trailer .......and right at the back on beaver tail one bounce away from falling off

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

IMG_8741.jpeg.df8e97cf033521a63fa5b96a6dc5eeb0.jpeg

My advice regarding the question asked

in the title of this thread:

” Selling or Sell “ implies the transaction is not completed .

As a Seller if it concerns you

how the vehicle is going to

leave your property …

then you can stipulate terms and

conditions to the sale agreement 

that have to be complied with

for the vehicle to leave 

your property.

I have been transporting 

vehicles since 2006 and 

no Seller I know of has

ever done that.

” Sold “ implies the sale

is “ complete “ and the vehicle 

has been paid for in full

and legal ownership has 

transferred to a new owner.

You no longer own the vehicle.

You have no legal right to

demand any conditions for

the vehicle to leave your property.

Sellers contact me every day

seeking transport quotes for

vehicles they are selling on

behalf of prospective Buyers.

90% of the time a prospective 

Buyer is seeking assistance from

the Seller to buy their vehicle and 

they cannot afford it and usually 

live at least 2000 miles away.

I tell Sellers to focus on the Sale.

Offer free storage with full payment 

until the prospective Buyer can

make their own arrangements to

pick up the vehicle.

Set a time limit you are comfortable 

limit with the free storage offer.

Make it expressly clear as the

Seller you are not responsible 

for damage or loss with free storage.

Never charge for storage.

You are liable for damage

or loss if you receive compensation 

and the risk isn’t worth it.

If the vehicle is to be transported 

have it on a public road or meet

the hauler at a suitable parking area.

Do not let a hauler onto your

property to load or unload.

If something happens while

loading or unloading on your 

property - you may find yourself 

mitigating a nuisance lawsuit.

Take a walk around video 

and/or pictures of your vehicle

before it is loaded.

Do not offer or aid the

hauler in any manner - you 

do not want to be held responsible 

in the event of damage or

loss during transport.

Why do I offer this advice ?

Most folks “ think with their wallet “.

They view transport as a

Good and not a Service.

They expect their vehicle to

arrive in the condition it left

in for a price that doesn’t even

cover equipment  operating

expenses required.

You are selling a vehicle.

That should never
include transport.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If the car is titled, I go online to the DMV and fill out the paperwork showing the new owner etc. and print copies. I don't wait to mail it in. What they do with it after it leaves my property is on them. 

• Like 1