Surfboard rack for a 47 Chevy Fleetmaster Woodie

awk409ak

@awk409ak

Art,

That is a great looking car.

While I like and respect the idea of a surfboard - just like everyone else,

that Chevy is just too pretty to mess it up with an add-on rack.

When Kruzin' or Showin' - Just hang the surfboard out the back window like we used to do ,

and tuck it inside when driving cross-country?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm trying to understand the context of the "first time on this forum" statement. If it's what I suspect it is, I'm guessing the surfboard rack request is a good natured prank. In that spirit, I'd suggest a multi-layered surfboard rack, and you could put them on each side of your car as well! 😄

• Like 1

What a lot of the Ford guy's do in incorporate the blind nuts and fabricate some sort of bracket. Unfortunately you don't have exposed blind nuts, so you are going to have to get creative if you want to mount a surfboard on your roof. I'm sure you are like most Woodie guy's and don't want to drill any holes in the wood. I gotta agree with Marty and never liked a surfboard on my roof, your car is too nice. You don't list where you are located but the National Woodie Club is having their East Coast National Meet  at the Mystic Seaport in CT. The Meet starts July 20th and the Woodie show is on Saturday July 22. Were hoping to get 50-70 Woodies. Are you a member of the NWC, if not we would love to have you as a member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I'm trying to understand the context of the "first time on this forum" statement.

I am trying to understand the "448" number next to his "comments balloon" under his name two hours after his "first time" comment?

409, the last thing you want to do is screw up your roof material or the welting for the look of a surfboard. There are people that advertise roof racks in the Woodie Times, but they require rain gutters. I'll pull a few back issues and see what's available.

Hi Guys,

I usually post on the Riviera Forum.  I have a 64 Riviera.  I considered this as a different forum.  I've also considered having a rack (kinda) hanging it from the roof on the inside, but haven't focused enough on the design.  Trying not to put holes in my wood.  Trying to come up with a way to clamp something to the roof cross pieces and strap it to that.  I have a pretty cool looking board.

Art

20230516_160046_resized.jpg.6c20516a4d7a411b9624eb0b96846e46.jpg20230516_160113_resized.jpg.8667482fca3cb31a242abef57cbdad5f.jpg

I was talking to a friend that has a 47 Ford Wagon this morning and he tried one of those racks that uses suction cups and straps that hook under the rain gutters. He said that the "Cobra Grain" roof material would not allow the suction cups to grab. He got about a mile from his house and saw the surfboard moving around so he stopped and had to put the board inside the car and return home.

20230516_160113_resized.jpg.8667482fca3cb31a242abef57cbdad5f.jpg

Question, how old is that surfboard? Looks pretty new. I guess someone bought the rights to Dewey's name. Heck, I went to his memorial thirty years ago.

And just a reminder if you do put racks on the wagon, put the surfboard on the right way. 

Station Wagon Surfboard Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos  from Dreamstime <wrong ---- right> Ford Deluxe vintage woodie station wagon with a surfboard on the top Stock  Photo - Alamy

Most guys I know who have a woody and do surf usually put them inside with the tail hanging out either up or down, usually fin up so the wax doesn't melt.

100 Surfboard Woodies ideas | woodies, woody wagon, wagons

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I didn't know that there was a right way to put the surfboard on the roof. If I had one on my wagon, I would have put it on the wrong way simply because it looks more  aerodynamic with the curve facing down and the skeg in the rear. Learn something every day. Is that Sonny's black '40 parked on the wharf in Perkins Cove?  

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

I didn't know that there was a right way to put the surfboard on the roof. If I had one on my wagon, I would have put it on the wrong way simply because it looks more  aerodynamic with the curve facing down and the skeg in the rear. Learn something every day. Is that Sonny's black '40 parked on the wharf in Perkins Cove?  

Black 40, Don't know, I used the picture as an example. Some guys, really old school don't use a leash, I do. One of my best friends does not believe in leashes, my dad who started surfing in 1927 didn't believe in leashes either, or as a matter of fact didn't believe in wetsuits! I remember back in the fall of 1966 (I had already been surfing over ten years!) I got my first wetsuit; we went surfing one day and my dad hadn't seen it in the car. I started putting it on and he comes over to me and says, "MEN DON"T WEAR WETSUITS!"

So, getting back to the leash. We wrap the cord of the leash around the fin and use the velcro ankle strap to tie it off around the fin. We put the board backwards, so the air pressure doesn't pull the wrapped around chord off the fin (which will happen). Now you've got an eight-foot leash dangling in front of the driver behind you on the FWY-70-80 mph.

How to strap surfboard to roof rack: Step by Step Guide -  speedsurfingblog.com

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1