Dry rotted tires

Depends on if they are cracked or just surface checked and how pliable the rubber is. If the rubber is still pliable and just surface checked, I would have no problem using them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not worth the risk to roll around in old tires.   Even if the there is no visible dry rot old tire can be dangerous.   There was a recent thread on another site where a visibly fine, but old tire blew out catastrophically.   Although it soars ok, the rubber is worn out and fatigued.   It's just not worth the risk.   Spend the money and get new tires at least every 10yrs.  

There is a difference in tires on an early car (teens/20's) rolling around the road at 25-40mph and a muscle car running freeway speeds, just saying.  

Now having said that several years back I was out west for an endurance run and someone was gracious enough to offer my young son a seat in their touring that had old tires, but 2 spares.  The first and second flats used up the spares while the 3rd put it on the trouble trailer, not a fun day to say the least.  

I'll use my location as an example for a visual of dry rot:

Today it will reach the hottest day of the year here in Phoenix AZ. 

Now imagine driving on tread that splits or dries out rubber at a much faster rate than most other places. 

My wifes car tires had 25k on them (claimed 60K tires) and the tread still looked good but the sides shown visible cracks when you got close. 

OFF they went!

When it comes to brakes or tires it just isn't worth the risk. 

Moral of the story?
Imagine your wife or daughter stranded due to a flat tire. Sooooo many things can go wrong if you simply avoid the inevitable...

Don't take a chance.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like to imagine if I had a wife or daughter instead of a son (mine is capable at eight) that a flat tire would no more strand them then it would me.  Although I also would like to see people who claim "changing a tire" is simple to acknowledge they are simply "changing a wheel" after trying to change a clincher tire . . .