For Sale: 1936 Lafayette 4dr Sedan - $7,000 - Cedar Falls, IA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1936 Lafayette 4dr Sedan - $7,000 - Cedar Falls, IA - Not Mine

1936 Lafayette - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

1936 Lafayette with suicide doors. Was running last use - about 10 years ago. Original dash. Seats have been reupholstered. 1937 Nash engine block and manifold. Engine totally re-bored. Don't know actual odometer mileage. ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED.

Copy and paste in your email: 6c5fe02cf1103bf6b773bd6c565eef2e@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1936 Lafayette 4dr Sedan.

'36 Lafayette IA a.jpg

'36 Lafayette IA b.jpg

'36 Lafayette IA c.jpg

'36 Lafayette IA d.jpg

'36 Lafayette IA e.jpg

• Like 1

I never understand why people don't make some small attempt to get it running before they try to sell.

Change the oil, check the plugs and rig up some sort of fuel source...it would make thousands of dollars difference. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Fossil said:

This is not meant in bad way but it kind of reminds me of something an Nazi officer would be driving. 

I've never been able to pin it down, but I think that there is something about the "prow" that makes these look quite European.

• Like 2

They were an independent make who merged with Nash in the early 20s. Lafayette disappeared for a while after the merger, then came back in the mid 30s as a lower cost make. At some point Lafayette became a Nash model rather than a separate make, and continued through 1940. It was dropped for 1941.

8 hours ago, DrumBob said:

Can one of you knowledgeable guys tell me about the Lafayette marque? That's a new name to me. 

Initially, the Lafayette was a large, expensive V8 luxury car introduced in 1920 which, though ostensibly independent, was in reality created and backed by Charlie Nash.  Parallel to the Leland-built Lincoln V8, both struggled in the post-WW1 recession economy, Nash eventually folding the operation in early 1924 after fewer than 1,900 cars had been build.

For 1934, the lowest-priced Nash series was renamed Lafayette as a separate nameplate, analogous to the Hudson Motor Co. Terraplane with which it competed.   That lasted through 1937 when, for 1938, it became Nash Lafayette through the 1940 model year.  For 1941, Nash introduced the Nash Ambassador 600 low-priced economy series with pioneering unitized body/frame construction.   Its "600" name denoted "20-gallon fuel tank X 30 mpg = 600 miles per tankful".   Postwar, it became simply Nash 600 through 1949 when for 1950 it became Nash Statesman.  Consistently, each name was applied to the lowest-priced model series on offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/6/2023 at 1:56 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I've never been able to pin it down, but I think that there is something about the "prow" that makes these look quite European.

The Lafayette would've been several years earlier, but the front end reminds me of a Ford Anglia from the late '40's/early '50's.

1952 Ford Anglia For Sale By Auction1952 Ford Anglia For Sale By Auction

• Like 2