Which vehicle to take today - 76 Triumph Bonneville

Rata Road

The celebrate the first day of winter here I thought I'd run the Bonney before it's 3 month sleep.

Left hand gear change, kick start only and disc brakes...perfect.

Ive been running all my old cars lately, filling the tanks, adding fuel stabilizer, charging the batteries and checking the tyres as they will get limited road use this time of the year.

Bonnie 1.jpg

• Like 5

My first British bike was a 1974 Tiger. I bought it in about 1977 , just after High School. But within weeks a good friend bought a Norton Commando and the Triumph soon went to free up $ so I could buy a Norton for myself.  I still have the Norton, a 1972 Combat Interstate 750. Don't ride much anymore, but I can't imagine ever parting with the Norton. After 45 or so years it is part of the family .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Very nice bike, I just love the sound of those Triumph twins.

Does it have a compression release being as it is kick start only?

While in the U.S. Air Force and stationed at TAC Base in S.C..(1964)   One friend had the big Triumph and another had

a Harley Sportster.   The bragging and arguments went on forever and I doubt they ever actually raced each other.

I had been a Zundapp rider before the USAF, but I liked the Triumph best.  (I think the Tiger was more my speed,

before switching to Dirt Bikes in the 70's)

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

During our high school years my cousin had two Bonneville's and a Trident. We spent quite a few summer days tearing along the back roads here in Northern Maine. I was pretty smitten with the Trident. It might not have been the fastest bike but to me at least - it handled like a dream. Fond memories.

Zepher - I agree they have a lovely sound. No there is no decompression lever but its never once kicked back on me....yet!

Starting - Cold - No choke so you tickle each carb (small plunger held down until fuel runs out), key on, I depress kick start about 1/8th way down until its firm then let it up to the top again and jump on it. Usually first but sometimes 2nd kick to start.

- Hot - I tickle each carb for 2 secs every time then it will start 1st kick.

One trick is to always start it on the centre stand, it feels like a stronger kick that travels a longer distance plus no risk of loosing balance etc.

You guys sound luckier than me, I couldn't afford one when I was younger had to wait until I retired lol.

• Like 1

Used British motor cycles were quite cheap around here. Motor Cycle insurance on the other hand was somewhat expensive , esp theft coverage. Once a British bike was 5 years old or so the value dropped like a stone. Many / most wanted a Harley. They were expensive in my experience. A few friends had Harleys or Japanese bikes, but I always stayed with British for road bikes. Bultaco or Japanese for dirt bikes.