Best color convertible top for a 65 mustang?

R Walling

I think an SL benz looks good with red and tan top. A classic mustang may look better with black. 

Depending on the asking price, and who will do the install, is it going to be worthwhile to put a new top on? AND will a new top help sell the car quicker?

• Like 2

If I were buying the car, with an auto upholsterer

readily available, I'd rather choose the color myself,

to my taste.

In that era, was tan a possible option with red paint?

It would have been an unusual color combination for

that time.  And are the tan seats with red paint the

original combination for that car?

• Like 3

Could you raise the price by the cost of the top and get it? If not, it would be better to sell for a little less, save the cost of the top and let the buyer worry about it.

This is a judgement call. If the rest of the car is real nice but the top is torn to rags it might pay to put on a new top. But if the top is half way decent looking it would probably be better to let it go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Could you raise the price by the cost of the top and get it? If not, it would be better to sell for a little less, save the cost of the top and let the buyer worry about it.

This is a judgement call. If the rest of the car is real nice but the top is torn to rags it might pay to put on a new top. But if the top is half way decent looking it would probably be better to let it go.

Smart Decision !

Or - maybe sweeten the deal by stating your price, but offering to share, or even cover a specific amount toward a new top of the buyer's choice, once payment is made.

Personally, and as @Paul Dobbin notes, I prefer white - looks sharp, and less heat-absorbent, especially in warmer areas where convertibles seem more prevalent.

• Like 1

Well, not a Mustang but here's red and tan. Buick called it Buckskin.

As an aside, the rear window on my 55 convert was getting so yellow and hazy I could barely see through it. I thought of getting a new window or even just replacing the top.

The upholstery shop suggested Macquires plastic cleaner and polish. To my pleasant surprise an hour's work brought the window to I would say 90% new looking.

If you are thinking of a new top you might want to sit down when you get prices.............Bob

20220806_143005 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, R Walling said:

I am selling my 65 red Mustang that has tan pony seats.

Repeating my question:

On 5/30/2023 at 9:03 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would have been an unusual color combination for

that time.  And are the tan seats with red paint the

original combination for that car?

47 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Repeating my question:

47 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Today I seen a red Mustang with  tan top and a tan pony interior. It looked ugly, so I will scratch that one.