Uneasy sight in water tube

a griffin

Here is a picture I took of a water tube thay connects to the waterpump20230523_170744.jpg.0d91cd07cc02067dd6dfc711333fbe2f.jpg that came off of an engine that was rebuilt about 5 years ago. This engine has zero miles but 20 minutes of run time.

I pulled the tube to access the removal of the generator and starter. Not something I'm excited to see, but glad it was found before being put into use.

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)

Even moisture/condensation trapped in a drained engine or just using plain water in a sitting engine even can lead to what you are seeing. Yuck! 

If that is the water tube connecting between two short sections of hose to create the proper bend if may have been installed without even being looked at.

On large jobs where time, budgets, and patience have been exceeded the last 10% of the job can be thrown together with a vengeance. I have seen it a lot of times.

29 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

If that is the water tube connecting between two short sections of hose to create the proper bend if may have been installed without even being looked at.

On large jobs where time, budgets, and patience have been exceeded the last 10% of the job can be thrown together with a vengeance. I have seen it a lot of times.

It's the transfer tube between the water pump and the engine block and head. Part of a complete engine rebuild package, outside was properly painted and correctly finished hardware in place. Disappointing for sure.

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)

Has it been sitting with water in it? What kind of engine? Is the part cast iron and rusting itself or is it some other metal (that would suggest the rust is in the rest of the engine too)? Their are lot's of posts here about using Evaporust to clean the inside of engines maybe that is a possiblity? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billorn said:

Has it been sitting with water in it? What kind of engine? Is the part cast iron and rusting itself or is it some other metal (that would suggest the rust is in the rest of the engine too)? Their are lot's of posts here about using Evaporust to clean the inside of engines maybe that is a possiblity? 

Its not necessarily the rust, which is obviously the discoloration, that has me concerned. Most of what is seen is dirt, alot of it. Like water was dredged up from the bottom of a ditch. The engine was ran for break in about 5 years ago. All water/coolant was drained before the engine was shipped back here. No water in it since. 

The engine will be getting multiple thorough flushes before the radiator is connected. 

On 5/24/2023 at 2:36 PM, a griffin said:

The engine will be getting multiple thorough flushes before the radiator is connected. 

Install a Gano filter and/or a knee-high stocking in the upper radiator hose to catch stuff that would otherwise foul the radiator core...

image.png.eea85469448cdb6e72b40172d7d993f9.png

image.png.b1eb6bf9d311d9c5ab4277bf741e4bc6.png

• Like 2