1927 Buick Standard- Fan Belt question

SteffenHeil

Hi guys,

I am facing some problem with my fan belt (leather) on my 27 Buick.

It just broke the 2nd time now and I actually don't know why.

How much do you tighten the belt correctly? Should it be quiet loose or stiff ?

The fan itself runs freely and easy.

I am attaching a picture after the last breakdown today.

Thanks,

Steffen

20230513_125341.jpg

On ours we just had one person hold it up to maintain tension while the other did the bolt down - hasn't given us any issues in a number of years. I believe they're designed to slip at speed 

The lower pulley is convex.  It is high in the center.  So the belt must have a little suppleness, but most belts are made of thicker leather called harness leather.   

Leather takes a gentle stretch, but not a lot.  With the engine off, if you try to spin the fan blades, it should slip on the fan pulley.    

Also asking if you have rebuilt your fan hub with sealed bearings?

Thanks,  guys.

I have the feeling,  that I applied too much tension on the belt- will try it tomorrow again (got another used belt).

I am sure, that I installed the belt correctly according to the marks and arrows.

@Brian_Heil: what kind of modern belt can you run there ? 

Steffen

2 hours ago, SteffenHeil said:

Thanks,  guys.

I have the feeling,  that I applied too much tension on the belt- will try it tomorrow again (got another used belt).

I am sure, that I installed the belt correctly according to the marks and arrows.

Steffen

There are places that sell rubber drive belts of all imaginable sizes. They don't have to be for cars, many industries use rubber belts. Even my vacuum cleaner has a rubber belt. Just measure the exact width, thickness, and length you want and google rubber belts. That's what I did and I paid about $20 for it. I will absolutely never have to deal with the fan belt ever again.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 4:41 PM, SteffenHeil said:

Thanks,  guys.

Steffen

Steffen

I took my old belt to the auto parts store and asked them to match it with a ~25 mm wide modern serpentine belt.  That was 27 years ago, still doing fine.  

Let me do some quick searches and see what I find now with the internet. 

Stay tuned. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

A quick search on Amazon found an 8 rib x 30 inch Goodyear belt for $19

Measure your belt, it is something close to 30 inches. 

Lots to choose from.  

Presume you have an online vendor of a similar sort you can search and order from in Germany?

• Like 1

Steffen - I replaced my missing fan belt on 1921 Buick with a Gates 814 classic flat belt.  1 1/8 in x 31.5 inch (28mm x 800 mm) after measuring as recommended on modeltford.com (Lang's Old Car Parts - a vendor specializing in Model T parts).  Their procedure is as follows:

• First, adjust the fan to it's lowest position.
  • Second, run a piece of string around the pulleys.
  • Third, measure the string. This is the length needed for your belt.
  • Do not measure with a steel tape, it won't bend tight enough around the pulleys and will give a false measurement. Also do not measure around the outside of an old belt, you will get a reading longer than you need.

Search "Belts" at modeltford.com and you will see quite a few fan belts of different lengths and materials (modern flat belt or leather).  

The Gates 814 is a classic flat belt made in modern material for durability.

Also, a search on Gates website has other classic flat belts of different widths and lengths.  I just used a permanent black marker to cover up the belt manufacturer writing.

If you are only wanting a leather fan belt they can be found at Then and Now Automotive in premade sizes or custom made to your needs.

www.then-now-auto.com/product-category/leather-fan-belts/

Hopefully using these resources you can find a belt in the length and width you need.  Good luck - Pete

image.png.ef25ee7132b16e8da460c2e45cbad23e.png

image.png.8c6cbd492d14c092e080e8590a160a16.png

Edited by IFDPete
Wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1

And listen to Hugh above.  Your style fan hub should be rebuilt w modern sealed bearings.  They are known to fail. 

I believe Hugh has a write-up on how to do this.

Hugh?

Also check the rivets that hold the fan blades to the ‘spider’.  Most of mine were loose. 

• Like 1

Don't delay replacing the original fan hub with a new machined hub with sealed bearings.   A fan hub failure could destroy the radiator and other parts too.  I machined a new hub and fan shaft on my old lathe.  

Below is a drawing of the machined hub with typical dimensions which may have to be modified slightly to get correct fit up. 

Fan Conversion #3 - Drawing-X2.jpg

machining in progress.jpg

machined fan hub.jpg

• Like 2

Russ Furstnow in Flagstaff, Arizona made the new leather fanbelt for our '16 D-45 and it works just perfect.  As I have told everyone, I am a huge fan of originality and if things like this worked back in the day when these cars were new, what is to stop it from working now?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 3

Not a fan of leather belts as mentioned above but at least these don’t have the metal clasp ‘belt buckle’ going round and round making noise

The two ends are tapered and sewn so you have a consistent belt thickness. 

Lots of sizes to choose from

If they are accurate it says the 1923  Buick 6 cylinder takes a 30 1/2 inch belt. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)