F/S-Not Mine-1925 Nash Advanced Six Touring Car-&19,500-Saginaw Michigan

Here is a car for sale with an incredible story of recommissioning as documented on the AACA “Our Cars and Restoration Projects”.

Here is a link to the ad:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/759769322466078/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Seller's Description

“1925 Nash Advanced 6 161 Fresh from over a year of sorting this Nash touring car is ready for the season. It features an inline OHV 6 cylinder engine with a 3 speed transmission, fixed top, and a blue body on black fenders paint scheme. Over $10,000 and 500 hours were invested to bring this car up to being a reliable tourer. Careful attention was paid to make sure it’s dependable and great running. Cold starts are easy and throttle response is excellent, the Nash drives and stops great. All systems are in working order except for the dash clock. All lights work and are nice and bright. The upholstery is in excellent condition with only one small 1” tear on the front bottom of the front seat (you can’t see it unless you put your head down by the floorboards). The seats are very comfortable and soft, like sitting on a nice couch. The paint is in very good condition with some minor scratches from use, I believe the Nash was painted in the 80’s and it has held up well. All the doors open and close with no issues, the driver’s door features a locking tool compartment with key. The motometer on the radiator is in working order, no issues. Also with no issues are the tires. All tires are supple and crack free of recent manufacture by Universal. They have many miles of service remaining and hold air pressure without issue. The top is in excellent condition with no rips, damage or repairs. It’s tight on it’s frame, no sagging. The year long sorting included a comprehensive assessment and repair of various mechanical and electrical systems. Work done on the engine includes: A complete carburetor rebuild with newly machined parts and a modern float set to the correct level for correct running. A new exhaust system from the manifold to muffler custom welded for a clean look and quiet operation. A rebuilt oil pump with newly machined shafts, gears and bushings that holds a steady 30psi of oil pressure. New oil pan, side valve cover, and valve cover gaskets. A cleaned and repainted radiator given a clean bill of health from one of the last few old time radiator shops in the state. New radiator hoses and the correct clamps. New fan belt driving the serviced and lubricated generator that shows solid charging. New spark plugs and spark plug wires with the correct crimped ends using the correct antique crimp tool. Work done on the transmission includes: A complete disassembly and cleaning, no broken gear teeth or bearing /bushing damage. New gaskets installed and painted in semi-gloss black. Transmission lock restored and returned to working order. A clean, smooth shifting unit. Work done on the clutch includes: A complete rebuild with newly machined reproduction parts to replace the throw out assembly and clutch arm pivots. The clutch brake at the front of the transmission was relined with new material riveted on. The flywheel was surfaced and a new a throw out bushing in bronze was installed. The friction disc was relined by Ft Wayne Clutch and Driveline in Indiana with new .125” material. The clutch has been adjusted and works fine. Work done on the driveshaft includes: A complete disassembly and cleaning with new seals installed and the correct semi-fluid grease pumped into the housing at both ends. Work done on the electrical system includes: An almost complete rewiring of the entire car. All wiring except the two armored headlight wires have been replaced with modern cloth covered wires in the appropriate gauge. Two fuse panels under the dash have been added for safety. All electrical switches have been disassembled and contacts cleaned. All lights work: Headlights, dash lights, cowl lights, tail and brake lights. A high quality brake light switch was installed to operate the original “NASH” brake light. All wiring was run inside the new correct style asphalt loom. Firewall electrical terminal was cleaned and serviced. Heavy 00 gauge battery cables and a battery cut off switch was installed under the car with a remote pull knob under the dash to turn power on/off. The tail light bulbs were replaced with LED units for extra visibility. Work done on the rear axle includes: A complete flush, new pinion seal, new cover gasket, and fresh 600W gear oil. Work done on the brake system includes: A complete rebuild of the equalizer bar assembly. Removal and cleaning of the actuator rods with ball joints lubricated. The transmission parking brake drum was turned and all of the linkage disassembled, cleaned, painted, and lubricated. The parking brake operates fine with minimal play before positive engagement after just a few “clicks”. The brake pedal is smooth and operates silently as it should, no undue slack in the system that shouldn’t be there. The Nash includes a tool kit, crank, grease gun, spare parts, copies of manuals, parts book, and technical supplements published in the 20’s for reference. Also included is a casting pattern for the water pump impeller and blueprint. The water pump is serviceable but I was planning on casting a new impeller and pump cover down the road for eventual replacement. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message and I will respond asap. Please examine the photo’s and videos closely, I tried to take pictures of everything.”

Link to the blog:

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is not your typical DIY restoration/repair work. Jason did a ton of high quality, detail conscious work to bring this car back to life. 

I hope it quickly finds a new home and that all is well.

Here is a link to his on-going restoration thread - its a very worthy read especially if your interested in this wonderful car.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/375066-25-nash-touring-back-to-the-road-we-go-ocf-or-bust-in-2023/

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I read the story today. It was engrossing.  The car was “restored” and shiny and running when he started on it. 

The description of what he found and what he did is the true definition of sorting.

He really didn’t change much cosmetically.  But man did he make some major corrections in the mechanics and operations.  

All the ads and flippers who say “runs great just needs a little work” should be forced to see what a little work actually costs in time and money. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm touched by the messages I've received expressing concern, first let me say health-wise, I'm ok! 

The sale of the Nash and one other antique vehicle comes after a long internal debate about time vs. commitments. I find myself stretched thin these days and need to cut back on some things to spend more time with family and reduce the overall stress level by a considerable amount. It has been nothing but busy over here for the last few years, and with several family members passing recently it really makes you stop and think...

I've still got plenty of wheels to keep me occupied, the work continues... just at a more realistic pace. I will continue to post on the 1968 F250 daily driver thread as I work on it. Thank you again for all who expressed concern and all who reached out, what a great hobby family we have.

The Nash is now listed on Ebay with lots of pictures and videos, this link will take you there: 1925 Nash Advanced | eBay

s-l1600.jpg.b6ef27287a3943a57daa22ba24834f9a.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ericmac said:

It's killing me watching this sit there under reserve. I wish I was in a position to buy it. It is such a great car.

I felt the same way when you had your Model T for sale... Had the timing been different it would be in my garage!

It will be interesting to see if it meets the reserve, which is set at 16K. Either way it will be an interesting data point for the market these days...

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Lahti35:

So sorry to see the Nash leave your capeable hands. I will miss compairing notes on our respective projects. I was looking forward to a ride at the next Old Car Festival. I must evaluate project realities also.

10 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Did you lower the reserve and let it go to a new home for $13k?

I did, it will be much happier being used than sitting in my garage. The buyer looks to be serious so I think the sale will go through.

24 minutes ago, old car fan said:

Someone got a screaming deal.

I don't think so, the market just doesn't seem to support the prices we hope to get on some of these cars. There's a nice looking 1923 Nash on ebay for months now at 15k that refuses to sell (for real anyway... sold but relisted). I'd rather move it than get ever penny I can out of it and deal with it all summer. Life's too short. It would have been nice to get more but I'll survive🙂

• Like 5

I admire your healthy attitude.

I sure wish I hadn't had the reversal I had last year. I was hoping to buy something in that price range and that car after all your fine work on it would have been beyond perfect for me. But alas, it was not to be. So I continue to look and dream, and hope.

I do hope all works out well for you and yours in the future!

• Like 1