Which is Easier to Crank Start - One or Two Cylinder Engine

190bear

From motorcycle kick starting experience, twin is easier over the single.  The single liked to kick back and whack your arch or some other body part.  When I bought a three cylinder two stroke kickstart only bike it was almost like cheating it was so easy to kick.

• Like 1

A lot of small engines have flywheel magnetos. The magnets lose their magnetism over the years and the magneto gets weak. Remagnetizing the magnets, cleaning and adjusting the points and a new spark plug makes them easy to start.

Early 1 and 2 cylinder American cars often had trembler coil ignition usually powered by dry batteries. These would start easily if the batteries were fresh. If they had a magneto the same business of remagnetizing the magnets would apply.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

At first take, I don’t think it really matters.  In crank starting, you only need one cylinder to fire one time to get the ball rolling.  On a (brass era) car, you only pull the crank through one compression stroke at a time, so one vs. two is immaterial.  Not sure about a motorcycle kick starter.

• Like 1

I rolled the Brush outside a few weeks ago. It sat since late fall. Primed it and it fired on the first pull. Did the same with a Model T. It is more about having a well-tuned car and knowing how it likes to start. I have hade Model 30 Cadillac's start on the first pull as well. 

• Like 1

I have to ask, why are you asking which is easier to start, one or two cylinder.  What possible difference could it make, which is easier to start assuming both are in fine fettle?  Could it be the deciding factor in the possible purchase?  What gives?

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

Gas or Diesel?  Having worked in the construction field for 50 years, I have seen lots of time lost trying to hand crank diesel equipment in cold winter months.  With a diesel, the compression release makes the hand cranking a little easier--one or two cylinders are not mush differrent-- at least you do not suffer broken bones from a backfire.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Akstraw said:

At first take, I don’t think it really matters.  In crank starting, you only need one cylinder to fire one time to get the ball rolling.  On a (brass era) car, you only pull the crank through one compression stroke at a time, so one vs. two is immaterial.  Not sure about a motorcycle kick starter.

Totally agree. I've started more old engines of single and multi cylinders all my life than most people will ever see. Get it up on a compression stroke and pull it though. A well tuned engine will start without much trouble once one learns it's Quirks and what makes it happy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Littlestown Mike said:

Gas or Diesel?  Having worked in the construction field for 50 years, I have seen lots of time lost trying to hand crank diesel equipment in cold winter months.  With a diesel, the compression release makes the hand cranking a little easier--one or two cylinders are not mush differrent-- at least you do not suffer broken bones from a backfire.

Speaking of Diesel I had an early one. 2-1/2 HP Thermoil sold by Sears. It was Cummings first attempt to build a diesel stationary engine. Most of these were sent back on recall. It took a lot to get it warmed up so it would run nice and smooth.

Well I have a 06 Cadillac that can sit for months and start on the first pull,bought a 08 Buick model F 2 cylinder in December 2022 only got it going once in December,very awkward to crank as the crank handle is between the frame and running board. But I had ankle surgery in January so have not tried since to start it.Hopefully in another month I will be able to get at it.I think it is more of a rhythm and getting comfortable with your stance etc. to then be able to give a good pull up. I do not windmill any of my cars. I will say that the 2 cylinder has more drag/comp then the 1 cylinder but the 1 cylinder has a longer crank handle and no running board to contend with.

• Like 1

Compression ratio makes a difference.  My 1985 350cc single cylinder Honda competition bike came with both a manual and automatic compression release to allow it to spin over faster and kick a bit easier.