L29 Cord thoughts

John Bloom

20 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Aw well, let's look at the bright [?] side.  He DID put some of his green into circulation.😁😁

Ben

I'm all for supporting the working American craftsman........and he did the same thing to a 29 Pierce Arrow sedan........a very common car and it's no great loss, but cut up a L29 Cord convertible.........it's like buying a rare French masterwork painting and touching it up with crayons and chalk. It's his property....and he can do as he pleases. In the end it's all just vanity and ego. Part of the overpaid "look at me crowd" that is such a part of todays world. I certainly hope it doesn't show up at the Auburn meet. Someone should give the ACD boys a heads up that that thing will probably show up at the Labor Day meet looking for approval..........I think I know what kind of reception it will receive.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It is depressing to see what happened to that roadster, but speaking about the L29 in general, it has such a great look, that I wish I could stumble on a scruffy (but still has it's dignity) L29 sedan.  It looks like something I'd enjoy playing with and when it is invariably "not running pending XYZ, etc...." I could still drink coffee and look at it in the garage.  Better yet, talk a friend who lives close by into buying one and then visit often.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I drove our Duesenberg, and felt the same way as you. I've learned since that the problem is that you and I have driven restored Duesenbergs with worn-out steering boxes (and probably other parts). They were restored to look pretty, but without the intention of being driven. Many people (maybe Ed included) tell me that when you drive a properly rebuilt Duesenberg, your assessment would change dramatically. Of course, it still won't compare to the 1934 Packard, but then, nothing before 1934 would compare with a 1934 Packard, and it got even better in 1937 (1935, for the Junior Packards).

I think I worded that wrong. What I was referring to is how easy and manageable it was, just ease on the steering wheel, no effort, quick. The overall feel of a Duesey belies what its actually doing. Keeping with traffic feels like you're just loafing along. Confident braking, easy clutch, but of course requires the art form of double clutching. NOTHING like a Packard to be sure. However, beer doesn't taste like Coca-Cola, and a 69 Caddy doesn't drive like a 69 Boss 302. I'd be hard pressed not to drive the wheels off a Duesy if I was of means to aquire one.

17 hours ago, Highlander160 said:

I think I worded that wrong. What I was referring to is how easy and manageable it was, just ease on the steering wheel, no effort, quick. The overall feel of a Duesey belies what its actually doing. Keeping with traffic feels like you're just loafing along. Confident braking, easy clutch, but of course requires the art form of double clutching. NOTHING like a Packard to be sure. However, beer doesn't taste like Coca-Cola, and a 69 Caddy doesn't drive like a 69 Boss 302. I'd be hard pressed not to drive the wheels off a Duesy if I was of means to aquire one.

But you're comparing a Duesenberg (doesn't matter what year, they're all basically 1929 models), to a 1934 Packard. The Duesenberg, if restored properly, would very much compare with a Packard of 1929-1931.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:41 AM, John Bloom said:

It is depressing to see what happened to that roadster, but speaking about the L29 in general, it has such a great look, that I wish I could stumble on a scruffy (but still has it's dignity) L29 sedan.  It looks like something I'd enjoy playing with and when it is invariably "not running pending XYZ, etc...." I could still drink coffee and look at it in the garage.  Better yet, talk a friend who lives close by into buying one and then visit often.

John I think you have enuff information to make a commitment. You have known all along that you want one, based on its beauty if nothing else. Now it is time to searching for the right car! (:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:10 AM, West Peterson said:

............They were restored to look pretty, but without the intention of being driven.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes - how true - Mr. Peterson points out the dramatic change down thru the years of what WAS a hobby by guys like me who just liked the machinery for what it was.   The pre-war cars in the early years of the CCCA were worth little or nothing - for those who remember the old "I Love Lucy" series,  more than one show's story-line illustrated how "dingy" and irresponsible Lucy was for getting involved in an old car (in one show,...it was a early Cad V-16...!).   

Those of us demented enough to see value  in "engineering exaggerations...magnificantly over-done"...(o.k...so I stole that line from the late Robert J Gottlieb...!)  liked them for what they were as automobiles - you can bet that the cars showing up in those days at Buck Hill Falls, or out here at Santa Barbara...ran...ran well...drove well. 

As a famous restorer pointed out  to me some years later,   spending the client's additional  money to make one of these  modern day "lawn queens" into a nice handling useable auto (what they really were when new)  would be borderline theft.   Today's restorers know the objective is to get the car running well enough to drag its carcass from a trailer, to its position as an exhibit. (three cheers to Pebble for suggesting folks actually drive the things....! 

Not to worry....if you want a nice "driver" plenty of low-mileage properly maintained "emerging antiques" around - if you don't believe me, pick up a copy of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE for May/June 2023 and turn to an article starting on Page 76. (oh...that photo...from last summer...my '38 Twelve storming out of a high mountain pass in the Colorado  Rockies during a CCCA Caravan.   Mine made it...some didn't.   Who wants to guess why?

PACKARD COLORADO 1.jpg

Edinmass well sums the Pebble Beach cracker's abomination, the "look at me crowd,"  empty money; deep pockets but no depth.  Charm, history, the feel of the times, all lost.   It's bad enough to see old Fords, Chevies, prosaic fare retro rodded, Frankencars.   But when crate V-8s, Turbo HydraMatics dropped into L-29s, even what were once senior Packard 8s and V-12s,  all the more heartbreaking.  Automotive Covid.

What's odd is we've heard some of the most active members of the Horseless Carriage Club of America, for pre-1916 cars,  are in their 20s, early 30s.  Yet these young folks are entrenched in not just preserving originality, but the spirit of the unaltered, carefully, authentically rebuilt cars.    Meanwhile, senior Packards of the '30s and L-29 Cords are butchered, become parodies.

How do we cure this disease?  Our K-12 trails at least 16 other modern industrial democracies.  We don't see fine old cars in Europe, Britain, Scandinavia butchered, retro rodded.  

Happy New Year and 10th day of Christmas.

26 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

The owner of the car sold the chassis/engine. Don't know where it went.

Yes, I was aware it was sold also.........no clue where it ended up. Should have donated it to the ACD Museum considering what a jerk he was with the car.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I agree that the wheels turn this into a ridiculous-looking custom build, and I would appreciate the end results much better if there was some better solution (aside from raping the car in the first place).

Once it has gone this far a set of true spokes from the 70s and vogue tires are not going to do much for this ahhh, personal expression.

I am surprised he did all of this and retained the stock paint scheme.  Metallic lime green with a dark green top, match the car to the wheels at this point.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Once it has gone this far a set of true spokes from the 70s and vogue tires are not going to do much for this ahhh, personal expression.

I am surprised he did all of this and retained the stock paint scheme.  Metallic lime green with a dark green top, match the car to the wheels at this point.

Funny, I was thinking metallic lime green body with day-glo orange fenders and pink/beige metallic beltline and fender accents...all set off with faux leopard-print interior and top...now, that's good taste, said Laverne!

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added Laverne (see edit history)
  • Haha 1