1922 Dodge Depot Hack with petrified tires

KenBegley

What a tough thing. We all at one time or another get to deal with this same issue.  You will sweat before you are done with this project.  You need to be patient and do not get in a hurry and force the issue or you take a chance to bend and distort your lock rings....BAD. I have, in the past, used several pairs of Handyman jacks to squeeze the tire beads together giving room to unlock the lock ring from the rim without distortion.  Patience and sweat with allow you to be the victor! As suggested above, cutting them off is another option, especially if you like the taste and smell of rubber.

Al 

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

6 hours ago, alsfarms said:

It is not related to the discussion of removing hard tires, but do you have any back information on race car #2 in the picture you posted? I like the huge drive sprocket to get faster gearing.

Al

Yes, That is Count Zbrowski in his original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. His birthday was earlier this month. 

download.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To me it looks like the rear  driven sprocket is very large also.  Notice how straight the chain is when it disappears behind the tire.  Two large sprockets would not be much of a overdrive.  I would have suspected a much smaller rear sprocket.   Think spring

• 2 weeks later...

No one thought to ask what wheels he has. Could be disk or it could be wood. Different approaches to removing them for both. 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, Mark Gregush said:

No one thought to ask what wheels he has. Could be disk or it could be wood. Different approaches to removing them for both. 

I was thinking the same thing. On my earlier dodge brothers I have a split rim that is easy to get off of a petrified tire, assuming you have a tool to compress the split rim. I don’t know if this is still the case by 1922.