1935 Desoto Airflow SG 2 door coupe - $57,950

What about about that color! Looks very nice.

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/cto/d/somers-1935-desoto-airflow-sg-door-coupe/7591536104.html

1 of 418 built Desoto SG two door coupes made, we are talking rare, this car was one of the innovators of the thirty's, this 87 year old classic is in excellent shape for its age, interior is stunning the paint to be honest showing its age a little but still very presentable in fact the whole car is extremely presentable for its age, it comes with a 241.5 cubic inch 6 cylinder 100hp motor and 3 speed manual, call for more info 406 two five zero 7003 no texts no emails i will not respond.

100g0g_emiQwRjFgorz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00c0c_Loyox3GUJGz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00i0i_33LiOv6Ui7Gz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00d0d_1rLLUa9VK1yz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_eJHqGcTpjZHz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg00m0m_eAIhl5ygPfUz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

4 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Why are these (there’s 3 of them posted here now) called coupes when they sure as heck look like a two door sedan? The black one next to this in one of the photos looks like a coupe, but this one no.

That is a very valid question. They have always been referred to as coupes, but you are right about a typical coupe of this era looking much different. I am an airflow owner, and have never thought about this before.

Coupes, coaches, two-door sedans, opera coupes, Victoria coupes, and on and on have been driving some people crazy for nearly a hundred years now! Advertising types, Madison Avenue certainly has not helped to clarify anything!

I don't think there can ever be a real consensus on what the various terms mean. At least not in any universal sense. Their application seems to change every decade or so.

• Like 2

I think for real differentiation, a coupe has limited

space in the back, whereas a 2-door sedan or a

victoria coupe has a more spacious back seat.

But note that a "victoria coupe" uses the term "coupe."

And later, such as in the 1950's through the 1970's,

we have Cadillac's Coupe de Ville and Lincoln's

Town Coupe, which have very spacious rear seating.

I think Wayne's conclusion (copied below) is well said:

21 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Coupes, coaches, two-door sedans, opera coupes, Victoria coupes, and on and on... 

I don't think there can ever be a real consensus on what the various terms mean. At least not in any universal sense. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1