I am looking for anything Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) from 1916 to 1920 when owned by the Shadburne Brothers

Shad

I am looking for anything Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) from 1916 to 1920 when owned by the Shadburne Brothers. I have newspaper articles and general info but I am looking for details. Documents, photographs or artifacts. I guess I just missed an enamal Shad-Wyck ornament on Ebay from this site. I don't want to miss anything else. Any historical info would be great!

Thanks.

I think I recall seeing some photos in the Period Images thread. The thread has been going for years and has almost 500 pages of photos. I'd try starting on the last page and work backward because I thought I seen something recently...

Good luck

I was in contact with a historical collection/society about the Bour-Davis a few years ago and believe that they have the only know example of the car on display in their museum.  I have some Bour -Davis original period material ( an instruction book if I recall)  but can not look for it this minute or for some time as I am involved in research and writing about other vehicle subjects and need to devote my time and energy to that. I have nothing on the Shad-Wyck at all.

A Bour-Davis was prominently displayed by Lagniappe Chapter of Louisiana Region  AACA at our November, 2015 National Meet

image.jpeg.f7c26f93889aed4eabb44e35f9d41f0a.jpeg

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

I was in contact with a historical collection/society about the Bour-Davis a few years ago and believe that they have the only know example of the car on display in their museum.  

Walt's statement is what I was told also.

Here is a 1920 Bour-Davis ad:  I have the paper copy

and scanned it for our regional newsletter a few years ago:

1920 Bour-Davis car ad.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:46 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Walt's statement is what I was told also.

Here is a 1920 Bour-Davis ad:  I have the paper copy

and scanned it for our regional newsletter a few years ago:

1920 Bour-Davis car ad.jpg

On 2/26/2023 at 8:36 AM, Walt G said:

I was in contact with a historical collection/society about the Bour-Davis a few years ago and believe that they have the only know example of the car on display in their museum.  I have some Bour -Davis original period material ( an instruction book if I recall)  but can not look for it this minute or for some time as I am involved in research and writing about other vehicle subjects and need to devote my time and energy to that. I have nothing on the Shad-Wyck at all.

Yes, the Sole Surviving Bour-Davis is the car which was loaned to us for display at our Lagniappe Chapter, Louisiana AACA Region 2015 Meet

• Thanks 1

I helped remove the clutch from the Bour-Davis in an effort to get it rebuilt and the car operational before that 2015 meet. At the time I was one of the younger members of the local club and was one of few who could still crawl under the car to do that work. I really wasn’t part of the rebuild process. I was just there to hand wrenches to those who knew the car and to help move heavy parts.

Tom

• Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to I am looking for anything Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) from 1916 to 1920 when owned by the Shadburne Brothers
On 2/25/2023 at 2:35 PM, Shad said:

I am looking for anything Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) from 1916 to 1920 when owned by the Shadburne Brothers. I have newspaper articles and general info but I am looking for details. Documents, photographs or artifacts. I guess I just missed an enamal Shad-Wyck ornament on Ebay from this site. I don't want to miss anything else. Any historical info would be great!

Thanks.

Here's a gorgeous emblem and information you may not have seen yet.

American Auto Emblems: SHAD-WYCK

Shadbourne Brothers Co.

Frankfort, IN 1917-1918

Chicago, IL 1920-1923

Shad-Wyck%2BDSC012667.JPG

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The original poster hasn't been back for a few days,

since he posed his question.  He'd probably be surprised

how quickly he's getting good answers on the AACA Forum.

He's potentially missing getting the emblem he wants, too.

This may be a lesson to other newcomers:  Check back for responses!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:34 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The original poster hasn't been back for a few days,

since he posed his question.  He'd probably be surprised

how quickly he's getting good answers on the AACA Forum.

He's potentially missing getting the emblem he wants, too.

This may be a lesson to other newcomers:  Check back for responses!

I'm back, thanks. Craig Shadburn

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have extensive newspaper articles on the Shadburne Brothers and their endeavors. Wade and Leonard Shadburne were born in San Francisco. Their father, George David Shadburne, was a celebrated Confederate scout under General Wade Hampton. The Union army considered him a spy. After the war George went to college in Kentucky and entered into the State Bar of Louisiana. He married, moved to San Francisco and started his lawyer business and started his family. In 1908 his son Wade started the Oakland Transcontinental Aerial and Telegraph and Power Company claiming he had an invention that could talk to anywhere around the world wirelessly. When he couldn't demonstrate the invention he was arrested for fraud. After his lawyer father helped him settle he left California for Chicago. The other brother, Leonard left California because he had too many wives chasing him down for spousal support. One wife had him arrested in Chicago and extradited him back to San Francisco to face the judge. I have a photograph of George D. Shadburne with his dog with either Leonard or Wade sitting in a car in the background (I think it is Leonard).

I kind of made up a story in my head based on this photograph that Wade and/or Leonard drove back to San Francisco to show their Dad how they made good by building Shad-Wyck motor cars. After looking at the only Bour-Davis car in existence I have concluded that it is probably not a Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) automobile.

But to help me sleep better can anyone identify this car?

Thanks,

Craig Shadburn

George in front of Car.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:29 AM, Shad said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have extensive newspaper articles on the Shadburne Brothers and their endeavors. Wade and Leonard Shadburne were born in San Francisco. Their father, George David Shadburne, was a celebrated Confederate scout under General Wade Hampton. The Union army considered him a spy. After the war George went to college in Kentucky and entered into the State Bar of Louisiana. He married, moved to San Francisco and started his lawyer business and started his family. In 1908 his son Wade started the Oakland Transcontinental Aerial and Telegraph and Power Company claiming he had an invention that could talk to anywhere around the world wirelessly. When he couldn't demonstrate the invention he was arrested for fraud. After his lawyer father helped him settle he left California for Chicago. The other brother, Leonard left California because he had too many wives chasing him down for spousal support. One wife had him arrested in Chicago and extradited him back to San Francisco to face the judge. I have a photograph of George D. Shadburne with his dog with either Leonard or Wade sitting in a car in the background (I think it is Leonard).

I kind of made up a story in my head based on this photograph that Wade and/or Leonard drove back to San Francisco to show their Dad how they made good by building Shad-Wyck motor cars. After looking at the only Bour-Davis car in existence I have concluded that it is probably not a Shad-Wyck (Bour-Davis) automobile.

But to help me sleep better can anyone identify this car?

Thanks,

Craig Shadburn

George in front of Car.jpg

1905 - 1907 Stevens-Duryea 20Hp Model R Touring

51860568303_24b139a5f4_o.jpg

• Like 2