1939 Front Grill

fosbreed1

I've read that Buick engineers made a change in the front grill early in production of the 39 model year by widening the gaps between the uprights to allow greater airflow

I've been unable to find pictures of both types to make a comparison. Does anyone have pictures of the early production Grills alongside the improved version ?

Thanks for looking

Edited by fosbreed1 (see edit history)

Somewhere I have a document (from Buick) that says the grill was redesigned to reduce/eliminate a humming caused by the grill vibrating at speed.

Most people believe it was redesigned to aid in airflow.   I do not know if either is really true.    

The easy way to tell the first design from the second is the reinforcing behind the upright elements. 

First design had 2 horizontal strips

Second design had 3 strips. 

The horizontal reinforcement strips were not in the same position.... so it is not like they added another one on the late design

There may be some difference in the width of the air gap or the number of upright elements....

I have seen '39 with an early on one side and late on the other and the only noticeable difference is the horizontal reinforcement. 

grill.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just to add a note: The 45 vertical bar grille is the earlier version. Personally, I think it's a better looking grille than the revised one. Much finer and more "jewel-like" than the wider-bar later version. I would note that this earlier, 45 bar grille seemed prone to develop warped vertical bars over time. Perhaps this was another reason for the change to the wider bars.

The discussion about the early grille "humming" is covered in the 1939 Abridged Dealer Service Bulletin book. One of the BUICK dealer fixes for the humming sound from the 45 vertical bar grille was to tightly install a cloth-covered, solid steel wire horizontally across the back of each grille half. This dampened the vibration and eliminated the humming. My very original '39 BUICK Special had these installed. There was never any humming, when going down the road. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attn: Fosbreed1: Do you use the PM (Private Message) system here on the forums? That's accessed by the little envelope at the top right of every page. A non-flashing envelope means no new messages, while a flashing  envelope means you have a new message or perhaps several. 

I've sent you a couple of PM's over the past couple of months, and it appears you never read them. You could be missing out on a lot! John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

On 2/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, Jolly_John said:

The discussion about the early grille "humming" is covered in the 1939 Abridged Dealer Service Bulletin book. One of the BUICK dealer fixes for the humming sound from the 45 vertical bar grille was to tightly install a cloth-covered, solid steel wire horizontally across the back of each grille half. This dampened the vibration and eliminated the humming. My very original '39 BUICK Special had these installed. There was never any humming, when going down the road. John

Mine have a rubber covered spring-wire

149-4921_IMG grille rubber sping.JPG

Different grilles.  Like JJohn I prefer the earlier finer grilles

047.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, critterpainter said:

Just to add confusion,  there were replacement/reproduction grills made back in the day!   They were made from aluminum not die cast.

You can view period replacement grilles of all kinds in vintage J. C. Whitney catalogs. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

Not the best place to note this, but I have a very nice, never re-chromed original '39 grille available from my storage shelves. I'll have to check on whether it's the narrowest bar version or the wider bar design. I'll take some photos and list it for sale...after I finish working on my taxes! John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, Jolly_John said:

Not the best place to note this, but I have a very nice, never re-chromed original '39 grille available from my storage shelves. I'll have to check on whether it's the narrowest bar version or the wider bar design. I'll take some photos and list it for sale...after I finish working on my taxes! John

You're ALWAYS working on your taxes😆  I sure would love to spend some time just perusing through them storage shelves of yours.