Mid 20's CHP car

Leif in Calif

It is a 1926 Gardner 8A roadster. Lt Moynahan was test driving a new Chrysler doing 85mph when a Gardner roadster passed them like "we were chained to a fence post". That worked for the dealer and he sold 6 roadsters to CHPS. The double door deck lid, splash aprons and other body parts identify it.
If that's a family photo send me a PM I think I can find an article that lists the names of most of the officers that bought one.

1926-Rstr.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, prewar40 said:

It is a 1926 Gardner 8A roadster. Lt Moynahan was test driving a new Chrysler doing 85mph when a Gardner roadster passed them like "we were chained to a fence post". That worked for the dealer and he sold 6 roadsters to CHPS. The double door deck lid, splash aprons and other body parts identify it.
If that's a family photo send me a PM I think I can find an article that lists the names of most of the officers that bought one.

1926-Rstr.jpg

I have several pictures of my great grandfather in his or next to his Gardner.   Both my grandfather George and his dad George Sr. worked for the California Highway Patrol.  Once I've been on the AACA website long enough (I'm a new member) I can post the pictures or other pictures of the vehicles from this era. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I need to pull them out of books, or at least take pictures of them in frames.  I'll do that in short order.  Meanwhile after retiring from the CHP my great grandfather built a cabin in Lake Tahoe (The Blarney Stone).  He hired a stone mason and oversaw the construction. The stone mason liked to drink and George had to find him at the local tavern to get him back on the job.  Here is the film converted to video and artificially colorized later of them at the Blaney Stone and other high jinks in Lake Tahoe during the 30s and 40s.  It also includes some vintage vehicles in the background and I think my great grandparents '38 Buick.  (or maybe it was a '36--I'll ask my dad).

Edited by Gavin M (see edit history)

On 2/3/2024 at 6:28 PM, Gavin M said:

I need to pull them out of books, or at least take pictures of them in frames.  I'll do that in short order.  Meanwhile after retiring from the CHP my great grandfather built a cabin in Lake Tahoe (The Blarney Stone).  He hired a stone mason and oversaw the construction. The stone mason liked to drink and George had to find him at the local tavern to get him back on the job.  Here is the film converted to video and artificially colorized later of them at the Blaney Stone and other high jinks in Lake Tahoe during the 30s and 40s.  It also includes some vintage vehicles in the background and I think my great grandparents '38 Buick.  (or maybe it was a '36--I'll ask my dad).

The Buick is a '39 - the first year with the headlights partially let into the fenders.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:28 PM, Gavin M said:

Is the Blarney Stone cabin still standing?

Is the Blarney Stone cabin still standing?  

Yes, the original cabin is still standing on Ski Run Blvd. in South Lake Tahoe. When it was built the town was called Bijou. The original cabin had a matching detached garage that is now missing.  My dad remembers that the detached garage was usually full of dynamite (or similar explosives) and they used it to blow up rotten trees and remove the knots where the branches attach to the trunk. My great grandfather was fond of burning these as they are loaded with resin and burned hot and long.  

Someone has recently built a ski rental business that really encroaches on the original yard in the past 8 or 10 years. It doesn't look as charming as it did in 1942.   I drive by every so often to take a look or show friends and family.  My great grandmother Pearle sold the cabin on or about 1963.  George Sr. has passed and she was getting older and had rented it out. The last of her tenants left it in a state that she wasn't happy with and she sold it and 20 acres of Ski Run Blvd which I think is now the upper parking lot for Heavenly Valley Ski Resort. 

Edited by Gavin M (see edit history)
  • Like 2