FS Not Mine 1924 Hudson Terraplane - $6,000 Two-door sedan suicide doors Florence KY

I didn't think they  made Terraplanes that early.  Looks like a '24 Hudson.  Has the "Hudson" badge right on the radiator shell.  Don't know why they thought it was a Terraplane.  I believe the first year Terraplane was branded as an Essex, never branded as a "Hudson Terraplane."

It's Hudson's lower-priced make Essex, one of the two door coaches that was instrumental in bringing low-priced closed cars into price parity with the open touring car.  For 1924, the six-cylinder replaced the prior four-cylinder engine, the coach priced $945 versus the touring at $850 with 74,523 for the model year.   In the spring of 1925, the prices for either body style was lowered to $765: the result?  159,634 Essex cars sold...other manufacturers followed suite; the open touring car was doomed.

The Terraplane name was applied as follows:

At mid-1932 introduction, the new car model was "Essex-Terraplane".

1933 the cars continue as "Essex-Terraplane".

1934-1936 the cars are all labeled "Terraplane".

1937 the cars carry "Terraplane Hudson" hubcapa but are advertised as "Terraplane".

1938 the cars have "Hudson Terraplane" hubcaps and other badging on trunk and grille also stating that.

In the way Hudson named the Terraplane cars through these years, it is very apparent it was a "phasing in" and a "phasing out" process.

I have owned multiple Terraplanes over the years.  In a very close 'contest', the '34 Terraplane Model K convertible coupe, 6 cylinder, rumble, comes out as the favorite among them narrowly beating a '33 Essex-Terraplane Model KT convertible coupe, 8 cylinder.

DSCN3137.JPG.06ffd5415b392c3a495446e8a9f3862d.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, paulrhd29nz said:

The car in the op is 100% HUDSON 

and definitely not an Essex. 
All Essex cars were thermo-siphon and never had a water pump. 

You are right!  It's a Hudson Super Six!  I should have put my glasses on and had a cup of coffee or two before I started to type! 

Notwithstanding my lax attention to the make nameplate and pertinent details, the same concept of reducing the two-door coach price to first parity then less than the open touring car was applied to the Hudson.  For 1923, the coach was still $25 more than the touring: $1,375 versus $1,350 respectively, 46,337 Hudsons sold.  For 1924, the coach price was $1,395; the touring: $1,500, overall sales increased to 59,427.  For 1925, the coach was $1,165; the touring $1,200, sales increased to 109,840 cars sold.   Prices for four door sedans were diminishing as well.

In response to the Hudson-Essex lead, other automakers had reduced the price of their least expensive two-door sedan or coach to parity with or less than the open touring.  1925 was the tipping point, the first year the closed body styles outsold the open styles.  

• Like 3