Leaking oil at oil gauge on 1948 DeSoto.

marcapra

I finally got my engine started on my 48 DeSoto. But I have an oil leak at the oil pressure gauge because I have the wrong metal tube that goes from the rubber hose to the gauge. The gauge needs a bubble flare with 27 threads per inch connection. I just have an regular brake line connection with an inverted flare, which is wrong on the gauge end. Does anyone have this part for sale? Thanks, Marc.

nut with sleeve.jpeg

Bubble flaring kits aren't all that expensive and handy to have in the shop. If you have the original nut, cut the line to get your wrong fitting out of the way, and hand it over to anyone who has the tool to bubble and double flair. If you're not a thousand miles away swing by and I'll do it for you. I'm in Minneapolis MN.

• Like 1

I don't think it is quite the same as "threaded sleeve" (?).

I am not sure what I am looking at in the photo, but it does appear to have a more round nose than a "threaded sleeve" nut. There is some kind of a fitting where the ferrule part breaks off in installation leaving a free-spinning nut. I think those have a more rounded nose than the "threaded sleeve" fitting, so might be closer, but it still doesn't seem quite like a match to me. Modern aftermarket oil pressure gauges with their plastic (and sometimes copper) tubing use a 2-piece ferrule-and-nut affair where the gauge facing part of the ferrule is tapered, but the rear facing part is flat, unlike a plumbing ferrule, and a flat faced nut pushes against the flat back side of the ferrule. This setup also seems closer but still not quite a match (?).

Is that fitting in the photo 2 pieces? What holds it on the tubing? Does the brass face do the sealing? The drawing suggests it might be one piece with a machined gap?.

@c49er @Rusty_OToole @keithb7