1940 Chevy 1/2ton pickup truck - $18,000

Very usable vehicle, the price is high but not crazy. Couldn't they pull it out to take the pictures? 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1940-chevy-2ton-pickup-truck/7578180059.html

Solid rust free 1940 Chevrolet pick up truck. 235 CI six cyl. with exhaust headers. new boards in truck bed. runs good. must see to appreciate and I will wash it before you take it home, been sitting so it is just a little dusty.

email: 0020e13497c3341190dbba527c47bd3f@sale.craigslist.org

00T0T_fXz2jSbCGJsz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg00W0W_hHYy64CVfeyz_0CI0pO_1200x900.jpg00I0I_jA5nzv4KKwz_0CI0pO_1200x900.jpg00D0D_2mKBVdpNtkCz_0CI0pO_1200x900.jpg01313_3qhqJzWuaXaz_0CI0pO_1200x900.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 9:17 AM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I can’t help but wonder what the discount is for buying it dirty.

It's called patina; LOL.

Everything that's wrong with the paint is called patina these days!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I am a truck fan, I subscribe to Vintage Truck magazine, but truck sellers are doing the same thing as car sellers in this post-pandemic inflation fueled market = adding $9,000 or more to what they would normally ask.  Hand painted?  Seriously?

And it looks like he used an old brush to do it.

13 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

From what can be seen it looks like a solid old truck. Would be a nice driver as is. Might be priced a bit high but not outrageous.

It is priced way high.  I can save 15-20 of these a day on facebook marketplace in better or the same condition for $3,000 to $7,500, and most of those are not selling at those prices.  

Most GM, Ford, and Mopar trucks are well supported by a few catalogs and specialty firms.  When I look at a truck project, I am looking for a low rust or surface rust only cab - most beds are available from a catalog.  I am looking for completeness.  I am looking for a restorable grille, and even then you can often get a repop grille.  

In the case of the Chevy's up to 1953, the Stovebolts with unpressurized 6 cylinders are almost throwaways to me. I had a 1948 Chevy Suburban (wish I still had it) and I bought a full oil pressure late 50's Chevy motor for it.  Looks "very" similar so reliable performance was more important to me.  

Just for the sake of argument (assuming the ad is correct and this truck runs), Please point me in the direction of the other 1940 running pickups with an asking price of 3k-7k. I will buy everyone. In my area rust bucket 1980 pickup trucks sell for that! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Just for the sake of argument (assuming the ad is correct and this truck runs), Please point me in the direction of the other 1940 running pickups with an asking price of 3k-7k. I will buy everyone. In my area rust bucket 1980 pickup trucks sell for that! 

None are for sale in Northern Illinois.