Short flick called Coffin on Wheels

An old friend of mine who is no longer with us worked on a used car lot when he was in high school in the late 40s.    He said he remembered a tire guy who would come around every couple weeks & cut deeper tread in balding tires.   There was a tool used to do it that looked like a soldering gun.  There was one for sale on e bay a couple years ago.   Also, he remembered a shed at the back of the lot filled with used batteries “cooking.”   They probably lasted a week or two once put in a car.   He got 25 cents per car to wash them and clean the inside.   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One needs to always have any used car checked over by a mechanic with a good reputation. After WWII my father would buy a used car one week and make some repairs and sell it the next weekend or so at a small profit. Right after WWII, I heard that cars in general were hard to find. Smart people would buy Army Surplus Jeeps to use for transportation. Those in the "Know" would remove the distributor rotor to prevent Jeep from being stolen. I've seen videos online of poor regions cutting new treads in bald tires, putting buyers at risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I attended one of the Long Island Vanderbilt Cup meets. One of the cars that showed up was an unrestored Locomobile 48...if I remember correctly it was a town car. The gentleman who drove it had come down from upstate NY...and said his wife didn't come because she didn't like getting her hair mussed up by the wind. In any case, it was riding on old, cracked tires and he told me he'd just "re-grooved" them!

• 2 months later...

I re-grooved the tires on my '29 Chevy coach back in '66.  I borrowed the tool from a friend of mine who's father was a used car salesman.  20" tires for my '29 Chevy were hard to find for this high school kid. 😊

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women and not Car Fenders"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We had a guy in town with a Corvair Van with a whitewall cutter in it.   He would cut the whitewalls to matching widths.

I was a used tire buyer and he could make them all match in whitewall width.   I remember when Tubeless tires first came out

they would trash them if punctured.   I would get them for FREE and put a boot and a tube in them and wear them out.   Drove

my 56 Ford to the Seattle Worlds Fair in 1962 on them, from Florida.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...