Lincoln L 1920-30

TG57Roadmaster

Spied in the jumble of the 2019 Hershey Swap Meet, a 1930 Lincoln Model 182 Convertible Sedan by Dietrich. Available on special order with a list price of $6,000, forty examples were produced in 1930 - this is one of two known survivors.

478169560_DSC_2870CXTx30LincolnLModel182DietrichConvSedan.jpg.6b08b956a2bbae6a07cb4d0de47ef364.jpg

I don't know where this handsome beauty has been hiding, but it sure was a thrill a thrill to see it.

482437872_30LincolnModel182DietrichConvSedanAdX.jpg.405d11295432045e4fbcc439b20efa2f.jpg

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Just lose the tires and the blue highlights and that thing is awesome!    Actually, I could live with the tires if you could lose the blue.

Ray Dietrich never penned an unattractive body.    And he was lucky in the sense he didn't have to go in to survival mode in the late 30s like Rollston/Rollson.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Thinking this is a 30?  Love the windshield.  Are these underrated?

20211006_162230.jpg

It's a '31 Dietrich convertible sedan. Formerly owned by a friend of mine, David Schultz (sitting over there on the right).

1080948688_1931LincolnDietrichconvsedan.JPG.96f5669d3001a7b2c7023e67887cb32f.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, prewarnut said:

One tip is the emblem didn't appear on the headlight crossbar until '31. Steve the "A" needs a big sister!

I blew my shot at a pretty decent example a few years back, that ultimately ended up all the way from CT to CA with another forum member.  My friend the seller had a Cadillac Club sedan at the same time, it found it's way to a forum member also, coincidently. 

The Lincoln was a coupe model but was actually more of a victoria style, aluminum bodied from the factory and super solid otherwise.  Nice, but plain interior.

His observation was the conservative Lincoln resembled a big Model A especially around the nose, build was of high quality but even then the Caddy had more "bling".  

I am not sure what the current owner has done with it but it was not far from roadworthy maybe 8, 10 years back now.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, alsancle said:

Just lose the tires and the blue highlights and that thing is awesome!    Actually, I could live with the tires if you could lose the blue.

Ray Dietrich never penned an unattractive body.    And he was lucky in the sense he didn't have to go in to survival mode in the late 30s like Rollston/Rollson.

Ask and ye shall receive, courtesy of West Peterson. I like the blue, fwiw.

1892560333_DSC_2870WestP.jpg.e3cfb41eab7f2019c5cb3511a1e92d2a.jpg

TG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a 1930 Pierce Arrow Series B Dietrich convertible sedan that has survived. It was a basket case and has been heroically saved and done exceptionally well and is almost finished in Texas……the owner is now 88 and is still working away at it for over twenty years now.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

The car shown at Hershey for me is ok with the white wall tires, the blue wheels with the light colored brake drums is what is over the top distracting you from the styling of the car. paint the wheels a dark gray or fender color and ALSO cover the trunk at rear to match the fender color. the tan to match the top just doesn't work is to distracting. You focus on that and not the rest of the car.

There was a time when any and every car had white wall tires , now the trend is that "blackwalls" rule and anyone who likes white walls is just wrong and obsessed with BLING. I can not agree. Look to the period photographs, advertisements and even catalog art work to see what was being promoted at the time. Depends upon the color of the fenders, body and top ( if a conv ) Black walls can make a car look "heavy" and dumpy and take away from the styling as well. What do you like and how period correct do you want the vehicle you own to be?  Wheels are spheres and that means them an automatic  bulls eye that observers focus on ,  They can dominate the overall appearance or blend with it to enhance a total picture.

Yes, the art teacher in me its talking again.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The car shown at Hershey for me id ok with the white wall tires, the blue wheels with the light colored brake drums is what is over the top distracting you from the styling of the car. paint the wheels a dark gray or fender color and ALSO cover the trunk at rear to match the fender color. the tan to match the top just doesn't work is to distracting. You focus on that and not the rest of the car.

There was a time when any and every car had white wall tires , now the trend is that "blackwalls" rule and anyone who likes white walls is just wrong and obsessed with BLING. I can not agree. Look to the period photographs, advertisements and even catalog art work to see what was being promoted at the time. Depends upon the color of the fenders, body and top ( if a conv ) Black walls can make a car look "heavy" and dumpy and take away from the styling as well. What do you like and how period correct do you want the vehicle you own to be?  Wheels are spheres and that means they are an automatic  bulls eye that observers focus on ,  They can dominate the overall appearance or blend with it to enhance a total picture.

Yes, the art teacher in me its talking again.

Walt

It's funny, I didn't even notice the trunk but now I can't stop seeing it. I agree with everything you said--it's a handsome car, but there are one or two too many elements going on and it makes it look busy. The blackwall photoshop job West did looks great and I'd leave it like that, with the fresh exception of doing something about the trunk (probably removing it).

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, prewarnut said:

You missed the brake drums! 🤣

Actually, the brake drums look nice in tan as if you saw he car dead straight on via side you see that same tan through the spare wheels via the body. 

The luggage trunk cover would "generally" match the top.

Black top (which tan was the preference of most manufacturers of the time period) and blackwalls in rendering look quite nice !!!

13 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Ok I see now, I thought they were white. A leap of faith painting them though. I agree that figuring out how to harmonize the spare (with/without hard cover, soft covers, whitewalls) and of course the top is a challenge.

Beigh/Tan - they just faded to white very quickly.