55 pontiac 4 door station wagon

Richard Clark

Post picture of body tag. With that several knowledgeable people on here will answer with exactly what you have.👍

• Like 1

In 1955, Pontiac manufactured 3, 4-door station wagon models:

Chieftain 870 Deluxe series, six passengers

Chieftain 860 Special series, six and nine passengers

No 4-door wagons were produced in the Star Chief series

As stated above, you will need to supply body tag numbers to determine the series, unless it is a 9 passenger model, then its a Chieftain 860 Special series.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Richard...Using the "Standard Catalog of Pontiac" 2nd edition by John Gunnell, the style #2562 is listed for the Chieftan 860 Special. Specifically listed as model 860-27 4 door sedan. Your title listed your car as  a station wagon but my reference gives an entirely different number for a 4 door station wagon.  The 4 door wagon is categorized as Chieftan 870 Deluxe as model 870-27 with style #2563DF.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

In 1955, Pontiac manufactured  xx station wagon models:

No wagons were produced in the Star Chief series

As stated above, you will need to supply body tag numbers to determine the series, unless it is a 9 passenger model, then its a Chieftain 860 Special series.

Wrong, the StarChief Custom two door Safari is a wagon.

image.jpeg.4203a75de2a1a6b0431462ff45ad3991.jpeg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

In 1955, Pontiac manufactured 3, 4-door station wagon models:

No 4-door wagons were produced in the Star Chief series

2 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Wrong, the StarChief Custom two door Safari is a wagon.

image.jpeg.4203a75de2a1a6b0431462ff45ad3991.jpeg

As you say, the Safari is a 2-door wagon. The OP specifically asked about his 4-door model.

10 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

As you say, the Safari is a 2-door wagon. The OP specifically asked about his 4-door model.

Own up Twisted shifter, you went back and amended your first post. Here is the original that I commented on. You said NO StarChief Wagon!

13 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

In 1955, Pontiac manufactured  xx station wagon models:

No wagons were produced in the Star Chief series

4 hours ago, straight8pontiac said:

Richard...Using the "Standard Catalog of Pontiac" 2nd edition by John Gunnell, the style #2562 is listed for the Chieftan 860 Special. Specifically listed as model 860-27 4 door sedan. Your title listed your car as  a station wagon but my reference gives an entirely different number for a 4 door station wagon.  The 4 door wagon is categorized as Chieftan 870 Deluxe as model 870-27 with style #2563DF.

The factory brochure specifically identifies a 2-door, 2-seat (6-passenger wagon, excluding the Safari) and a 4-door, 3-seat (9-passenger wagon) as model 860. The 4-door, 2-seat, 6-passenger model is the 870.

1955 Pontiac Wagons-06-07.jpg

1955 Pontiac Wagons-04-05.jpg

You'll notice that from cowl back the Pontiac wagon's body is identical to the Chevrolet wagon body. Pontiac adapted their trim and designed Pontiac taillights that fit into the Chevrolet taillight openings, while using their own drivetrains.

So the 77-90 wagon body sharing was nothing new.

Yet the high-style Safari warranted its own Pontiac quarter and rear end styling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

"Rear ventipanes" and two non-folding rear seats were standard on the 860 4-door, 9-passenger wagon. See brochure above.

As John Gunnell said. It's rare to find a real photo of an 860-wagon with those features. He couldn't find a real picture for the 55 model for his book " 75 years of Pontiac". Brochures= no problem.

2 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

The OP specifically headed his column "55 Pontiac 4 door station wagon".

No mention was made of 2-door wagon, Star Chief or Chieftain.

YOU mentioned there was NO StarChief Wagon, and then you went back and amended it, but my comment held your original statement. Own up!

1 hour ago, Twisted Shifter said:

"Rear ventipanes" and two non-folding rear seats were standard on the 860 4-door, 9-passenger wagon. See brochure above.

As John Gunnell said. It's rare to find a real photo of an 860-wagon with those features. He couldn't find a real picture for the 55 model for his book " 75 years of Pontiac". Brochures= no problem.

Here are three Pontiac 4-door wagons with vent windows behind the "C" pillar, 1955, 1956, 1957. Stll the same body from the firewall back, just different front treatments and trim.

1955_pontiac_safari_station_wagon_vi_by_brooklyn47_dbo1tnh-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTA2NCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QxNWViZGFiLWZmZWUtNDg5Mi1hMWFhLWZkNzZmNjY1MzU0ZlwvZGJvMXRuaC0xM2M1ZmJmOS1iYjYxLTQ4MDctOTBlYS04ZWFhNzUxM2M4YjIuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTE2MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.6sYXuXyk1E7KCDiCeayf7dHamvka7SWYHRky2LIJHQA

1955_pontiac_safari_station_wagon_iii_by_brooklyn47_dbo1t8d-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTA2NCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QxNWViZGFiLWZmZWUtNDg5Mi1hMWFhLWZkNzZmNjY1MzU0ZlwvZGJvMXQ4ZC0wNjc1OWFhYi0xNDk4LTQ2NzktYjE5Ni0zNzUzODQ5OTA4MDEuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTE2MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.huPID1wjXMx-9jLVukrm8hAXjjuioIhQwxWkla_Dl6Q

1956 Pontiac Station Wagon

00Y0Y_8bqtIhXtKsy_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Street Rod?  I dont think Ames will have anything for a car this early. You can try Desert Valley Auto Parts in AZ. They have a lot of different stuff. Join POCI, there is a good bit of support for this era there as well as modified chapters to go along with restored.

I believe '55 to '57 Chevy floor pans are being reproduced. I don't know if they are available for or fit wagons. If so, since Pontiac and Chevy used the same station wagon bodies, chances are the wagon floor pans are the same.

If not, search all the old car junkyards listed in the AACA "Junkyard" forum as well as the internet. Gotta be pans out there somewhere.

It would help to know your location in case someone knows of the parts you need and shipping them to you wouldn't be unreasonable.

There recently was a '56 Pontiac wagon parts car listed on CL in the dry desert part of Washington. If it comes up again, I'll forward to you.

• 1 month later...

wow i am looking for Rh and Lh rocker panels for this cheiftain 860 special i have called many places with no luck dose any one have any ideas where i can get some i do not want the slip on this 4 door wagon will not go to the junk yard thank everyone for your help i am grateful to everyone 

Try these - they should fit. Call the vendor to make sure.

A little time spent on the internet may solve your problem.  As stated above, Chevy and Pontiac wagon bodies are the same.

https://bodyshopprice.com/rh-1955-chevy-factory-style-outer-rocker-panel-4-door-models/

Rh - 1955 Chevy Factory Style Outer Rocker Panel (4 Door Models)

full length factory style outer rocker panel extends to the front of the rear tire like original. applications: 1955 chevy 4 door sedan & station wagon. Rocker ...
$175.00 · ‎30-day returns · ‎In stock

On 12/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, rocketraider said:

Yet the high-style Safari warranted its own Pontiac quarter and rear end styling.

I wish Pontiac did that with ALL the '55 and '56 wagons, not just the Safari.  Then they would not have looked like upmarket Chev wagons.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)