1909 Brush a $15,000

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

Single cylinder! I bet it really sounds great! (hills might be a problem)

Also the flats! Down hill is ok, as long as you don't need to stop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wooden axles, wooden frame, wooden wheels, wouldn't run.

They are actually fairly popular with the one cylinder crowd. A bit underpowered even by early standards. But alongside other early one cylinder cars like Reo, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile, they don't do too badly. One of the last of the one cylinder regular early cars (last produced in 1912), they have some advantages in better bearings and oiling over the early other cars. The last of the Brush one cylinder engines even had a counter-balanced crankshaft (1910 might be too early for that?). Some Brush owners have been known to swap the later engine into earlier cars because those later engines run considerably better.

The weak area for a Brush is the transmission. You want to make sure it is there and in good condition. A couple decades ago, many of the transmission parts were reproduced making a number of Brush cars better suited for touring with the clubs. But good transmission parts these days are very hard to come by. There are quite a few Brush cars in hiding because owners have been unable to find enough good pieces, or unwilling to spend what it takes to have the parts made now.

I like the car. I wish I could afford it. I have come close to buying a Brush a couple times over the years, and have known several people that toured with them. Personally, I would remove the windshield. I think these look better without one. And at 20 mph you really don't need a windshield.

• Like 1

With all the caveats about these cars, how did these people make this trip? Fascinating story. I have had this book since childhood and always have had a soft spot for the Brush automobiles. Occasionally one or two do participate in the New London / New Brighton run here in Minnesota.

CF89A219-2162-4656-8C13-8782A67B97CA.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I have had this book since childhood and always have had a soft spot for the Brush automobiles.

That is fabulous, Jeff.  I love Mrs. Trinkle's outfit!  How long did the trip take them?

Hi Neil,

The trip was done in three segments 1( Detroit to Colorado Springs 2) Pikes Peak to San Francisco 3) Detroit to New York City. Not very much mechanical trouble but lots of delays. I do not have a total days to make the trip.  Fred Trinkle was a good friend of Floyd Clymer. The book was published in 1952.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Hi Neil,

The trip was done in three segments 1( Detroit to Colorado Springs 2) Pikes Peak to San Francisco 3) Detroit to New York City. Not very much mechanical trouble but lots of delays. I do not have a total days to make the trip.  Fred Trinkle was a good friend of Floyd Clymer. The book was published in 1952.

I have to wonder about Pikes Peak on 8 horse power. Maybe in reverse with them pushing too????