Looking for information on 1956 2 door meteor ranch wagon model 59a

Vancouvermatt

Absolutely a rare car. Canadian production numbers can be difficult to find , but one site I found lists 849 built with a further 975 of the fancier trim,  Meteor Niagra 2 door wagon { 59 B }. Not a big production, but not tiny either.  As far as survivor numbers go I doubt anyone really knows. Chances are there are at least a few scattered around .  Canada is a big place with lots of sheds , barns etc. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Looking for information on 1956 2 door meteor ranch wagon model 59a
23 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I've never seen a 56 Meteor station wagon and very few Fords or Mercuries. I know wagons were a big fad in the US in the fifties but you didn't see that many in Canada.

I wouldn't want to bet it is the only one left but I would bet it will be the only one at any car show you care to attend.

These are very rare, but a few are still around up here in the frozen tundra. As a Meteor guy from age 15 growing up in Canada and my 1st car being a 57 Meteor Rideau 500 2 door imitation hardtop and my 2nd car a 1956 Meteor Niagara Town Sedan I still follow them.

14 hours ago, Vancouvermatt said:

Hey I have a 1956 2 door meteor ranch wagon model 59a and I am having a very hard time getting information on it....

What do Meteor owners do for shop manuals? Are reprints of shop manuals even available for the Meteor marque? I would guess that a '56 Ford shop manual would be a practical alternative but I don't know for sure. The OP wasn't specific about the kind of info he was looking for, but as I recall, my '54 Ford shop manual has info about reading the data plate.

Of course, that then begs the question: would a Meteor have the same data plate and codes as a Ford? I'd love to have that Meteor.

I seriously doubt the data plate codes would cross. I once had a 1960 Canadian Ford, and it differed in many details from a 1960 American Ford. As I recall it had a 332 engine with solid lifters, not even offered in the US in 1960, having been replaced by the 352. There were other differences.

Just as Ford, the 1956 Meteor Ranch Wagon had no side trim. The Ford Custom Ranch Wagon, Parklane Wagon and Country Sedan Wagon all has side spears. The 1956 Country Squire Wagon had simulated wood on the side. You car is quite rare and would look great restored! Is it for sale?

There was a parts book at least. When you add up all the different Meteor body style production numbers there was a significant number of these Canadian version cars built. I would expect  Ford would have documented these cars no differently than any other product lines .

Picture 1 of 12

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Was the brand name of these cars Meteor? 

Yes that’s correct 

Ford dealers sold Monarchs and Mercury dealers sold Meteor and Mercury trucks from what I understand.

Theres a Facebook group for Meteors and Canadian fomoco stuff and there’s some knowledgeable followers and a good place to post for meteor specific parts wanted.

• Like 2

A 1956 Ford shop manual will cover 95% if not all of the basics of a 56 Meteor. They were both built in the same factory, Ford Oakville Ontario assembly plant. I think I still have a Meteor Owners manual. I'll post pic's if I can find it again.