The Harvard of Automobile Restoration Gets $500 Million Pledge

f.f.jones

As stated before, the problem with the graduates from this college (and many others) is that graduates want to be managers, not workers.  Iknow this first hand from a shop which has hired graduates, when they realize they actually have to work with their hands daily they soon lose their gruntle.

Degrees serve some people well, but to many, trade school should have been the way to go.

I have an acquaintance I went to high school with, I think he represents how a large portion of the population feels.  He turns up his nose at the “uneducated masses”, somehow not realizing that without those workers who have non-degree skills, he’d be living in a cave hunting his own food…

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, trimacar said:

As stated before, the problem with the graduates from this college (and many others) is that graduates want to be managers, not workers.  Iknow this first hand from a shop which has hired graduates, when they realize they actually have to work with their hands daily they soon lose their gruntle.

Degrees serve some people well, but to many, trade school should have been the way to go.

I have an acquaintance I went to high school with, I think he represents how a large portion of the population feels.  He turns up his nose at the “uneducated masses”, somehow not realizing that without those workers who have non-degree skills, he’d be living in a cave hunting his own food…

You are perfectly describing the “laptop class“.

• Like 3

I have walked both sides of the street.  I was in a PhD program in South Asian Studies at Penn when the fellowships ran out and I realized that what I really wanted to do was work with my hands and mind together restoring antique cars and it was the best decision I ever made.  Almost 50 years later I still love what we do.  My Bachelors Degree is in Archaeology so when questioned I call myself an Industrial Archaeologist.  Different strokes for different folks but in my mind working at something that requires using your brain and your hands together is the way to go for many young folks. 

• Like 6

My oldest Grandson is 10, and has always been good with his hands, building stuff, had his own garden for three years now, and his own table at Hershey. He also has an eye for scrap metal and undervalued collectables. Last week something caught his eye in the local thrift shop. Having a cellphone and knowing how to use it he found out the $10.00 item was trading for $108.00 on line.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

There is NO better education than digging a ditch with a shovel, chopping wood with an axe, putting hay up in a barn, cleaning livestock in the fall for placement in a freezer, or any other type similar work with your hands and back. Everyone should master these skills LONG before they attend college.

As far as making a good living........... six figures for a talented mechanic is commonplace today.  

Ed, I did all of those things but was still dumb enough to own my own business. Some of us are just hard headed. 

Steve, I agree with you completely. The educational system is a mess. The biggest reason is too many universities are research facilities. The PHD’s don’t teach. The term (non PHD and non tenor) teach and the deans or chairs want butts in the seats because it relates to $$$. My daughter teaches at a major east coast university. She had a student actually cry because my daughter was helping her find an internship. She said no one ever tried to help her before or told her these opportunities were available.  Sad state of affairs. 
dave s 

When I had the boat dealership, I hired several guys that had taken Vocational schooling in small engines.

Most of them will never make it as a mechanic.

I found that hiring a commission guy with a suit to deal with the front and most sales would let me get some work done in the shop.

Many times, buyers were flabbergasted that the greaseball in the shop had the last say.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

You are perfectly describing the “laptop class“.

May not be the best label ;)  My 22yr old son went to a different automotive college and now is a service tech at a Cadillac dealership (for over a year).  He uses the laptop on new vehicles around 70% of the time diagnosing sensors and other issues on new vehicles.  He also works on engines and other major mechanical issues, brake overhauls, electrical, etc...but I was surprised how much time he spends on the laptop.  

He has been working on cars with me since 5, so they were surprised how much he knows.   Feel free to call me the "laptop class" as I have been working for decades at the largest software company in the world :)

Proud of him as he quickly (over 3+ years) worked his way up the ladder in multiple dealerships (starting with just oil changes and tires after college)...to now working at a luxury car dealership and pretty much doing everything possible on new cars.  He also enjoys driving some of the new Cadillac's as he gets to take them home once and a while :) 

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)