Is it time to buy a new tire yet?

The first time my girl friend (future wife) said she would drive me in her car (1971 Fiat 131), I got in the passenger seat and watched her start the car and put it into drive - and nothing happened.  I asked her if she had checked her transmission fluid level lately - she said what is that?   So I got out, opened the hood pulled the stick - and of course there was no measurable quantity of the fluid on the stick.   That's when I decided a safety check of the car was appropriate.  When I looked at the tires, all four tires looked like your picture above.   My wife is smart, but she grew up without a dad to teach her about cars.   Hopefully you all have taught your children well !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, classiclines said:

The first time my girl friend (future wife) said she would drive me in her car (1971 Fiat 131), I got in the passenger seat and watched her start the car and put it into drive - and nothing happened.  I asked her if she had checked her transmission fluid level lately - she said what is that?   So I got out, opened the hood pulled the stick - and of course there was no measurable quantity of the fluid on the stick.   That's when I decided a safety check of the car was appropriate.  When I looked at the tires, all four tires looked like your picture above.   My wife is smart, but she grew up without a dad to teach her about cars. 

Hopefully you all have taught your children well !!!

It doesn't stick with all of them

Ben

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

In high school someone told me their brakes squeaked, do you think I need to grease them? Later on I ask them what kind of car their Dad drove.  After a few minutes pause, "It's blue, I think it's a Buick".

There Dad always bought blue Buicks.

Edited by 61polara
Spelling, what else (see edit history)

Not everyone is a car person and understands mechanical stuff.........   this means eventually there will be no car guys when everything is electrified. 

A Tesla has no engine (with oil) no transmission and the brakes might last forever with regenerative braking.   

Fortunately for anyone over 60 that will not happen in your lifetime.    

I am pretty good with mechanical things (because you can see them work)  I have trouble with electronics since I cannot see electrons or current moving.  Same with computers,  what others think are simple

to do on a computer....it just does not make sense to me (I did work for a computer company for 32 years)  

I don't like being old and and the things that come with aging..... but I could not start out today in a world of electronic this and computer that.... I am happy where I am.

I also have difficulty doing thing I used to do,  both on cars, around the house, etc.    My solution is to enjoy other peoples cars and collections and I am trying to stop buying more for me.