1977 Buick Century - 21,000 actual miles

Not mine but posting for the owner of whom I know.

1977 Buick Century

350-2bbl with TH400 Transmission

21,000 Actual miles

Have a Full set of factory shops manuals

Original Owner

$8000 or best offer

Rich

PH: 630-669-2672

Lemont, Illinois

1977 Buick Century Front L.jpg

1977 Buick Century Front.jpg

1977 Buick Century Rear.jpg

1977 Buick Century Interior L.jpg

1977 Buick Century Interior L1.jpg

1977 Buick Century Interior R.jpg

1977 Buick Century Front Engine.jpg

Edited by Tom M (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I remember a car exactly like this going down the assembly line while I worked at GM assembly in Fremont Ca back in the day.  The Century coupe was kind of an odd duck at the time. Most coupes were the Regals with the big Chrome Grille. The Century sedans had completely different styling. I now find this body colored grille to be more interesting. These rolled down the line with the Chevy Laguna, another odd ball of the time, but pretty cool now. I'd definitely consider this red Century.  The name alone has a proud history.

• Like 5

I thought this was GM's most attractive intermediate in '77.  The '77 Regal grille was changed just for the sake of change and not as attractive as the plainer '76 grille.  I ended up with my parents' '76 Regal coupe when they were done with it in 1989.  These are nice cars, but watch out for rust in the cowl area, floors, and behind the upper door weatherstripping (besides the usual obvious rust-prone areas).

Edited by Jim Skelly
upper door weatherstripping (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

Bryan,

Yes, these came with a THM350, which was not nearly as good as the THM400.  The transmission was a weakness on these cars based on my own experience with one.  

My 78 Regal THM350 was bullet proof.  Faithful transmission oil and filter changes.  Yet my buddy's blew at 80k. 

Rust issues aside, GM's build quality was not stellar during the late '70s.  Drivetrains were solid, but lots of plastic inside.  I specifically recall the poor fit of the carpeting in front of the rear seat where a gap would appear near the base of the B-pillar.  That said, lots of these were sold and the Cutlass was GM's #1 seller in '75 & '76...

Friedman Buick on Cleveland's east side had a dozen or so of these for sale in the summer of 1977 - just ahead of the 1978 model release - all priced at $3400, take your pick. I spent an afternoon trying to choose which one I wanted - then just couldn't pull the trigger. I left there and a few weeks later bought a low mile 73 Regal for $900 off another dealer's lot.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Beautiful example for 77.  I'm not sure why late 70s GM products do not have a bigger fan base. Maybe they do but I'm looking in the wrong place. 

GM is no worse than others, but this era has early pollution controls added to older designs, resulting in pretty poor performance.  That said, the era is getting more interest.

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

GM is no worse than others, but this era has early pollution controls added to older designs, resulting in pretty poor performance.  That said, the era is getting more interest.

The pollution controls in the 70's were still in their infancy.  True that many motors were neutered.  But not all who drive are about the performance.  It is about reliability. Our families 70's  GM products were very reliable.  When I was a technician for Goodyear these cars are the era worked on and vehicles well into the 80's.  For me, some of the best riding GM's ever produced.  The era is getting interest from me. I would love to have a 78-83 Regal coupe.          

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The pollution controls in the 70's were still in their infancy.  True that many motors were neutered.  But not all who drive are about the performance.  It is about reliability. Our families 70's  GM products were very reliable.  When I was a technician for Goodyear these cars are the era worked on and vehicles well into the 80's.  For me, some of the best riding GM's ever produced.  The era is getting interest from me. I would love to have a 78-83 Regal coupe.          

One just needs to understand that a 1970 big block V8 and a 1975 one both will get 10 mpg, but their performance is wildly different.

• 8 months later...