What's wrong with this piston?

Dandy Dave

Years ago we were hired to get a '33 Cadillac V12 running that had not been run in many years.  This was not our first rodeo so to the displeasure of the owner I insisted on removing the heads just to see if everything looked OK before we tried to start it.  Passenger side head and block looked great, nice and clean, no ridge at the top of the bores.  Driver's side head a different story.  Laying on top of piston #2 were several shards of glass as if someone had broken a champagne flute. Now, these shards were too large to have entered thru the spark plug hole.  2 questions. #1 How did those shards of glass end up on top of the piston and #2 What would have happened had we tried to start the engine with that glass in there?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flivverking said:

What’s wrong with this piston, duh

Point of the post ,I'm missing

So what?

Just another tune up for a pre war car guy………..Rock On Dandy Dave! 👍

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

Speaking of being normal, what is on that gravestone outside your shop? 😎

Mad Mountain Dean was my wifes former husband. She plans on putting that stone up on the hill someday when she picks out the right spot. He shot himself and 50 + cows around 13 years ago. I'm on the farm that started the, "farmers and suicide" story. It's a long story that I will not get into here as this is not the place. But he did want a stone like this. It reads, He never met a person he couldn't charm, Acerage he couldn't farm, Fish he couldn't catch, Deer he couldn't bag. Mad Mountain Dean 59yrs.   

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

O.K. 

I'll play this game Swifty Davey has started,

"What's Wrong with this?".

But I go farther ,what car and cause?

Don't know? I'll tell you.

IMG_20221029_044613955.jpg

That pan looks like Model A Ford to me. The babbit bearing looks wasted for one. No oil grooves. Had one years ago with a cracked piston skirt.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Flivverking said:

What’s wrong with this piston, duh

Point of the post ,I'm missing

So what?

I started this thinking that more photos of broken pistons, and possible causes would show up, but then folks wanted to know what the crushed piston came out of. So here we are.

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:54 PM, Swear57 said:

I agree with avgwarhawk  definitely detonation. I have seen this many times over the years. Yes what dose the block look like?

Sorry, detonation did not do this.

Look at the angular damage, there are sharp detents down into the piston. That piston came in contact with an immovable object; between the piston and cylinder head. That is crush damage.

We have worked on thousands of engines in the shop. And doing a lot race car and motorcycle engines; that really turn the RPM,s, this was common. But this old engine probably never turned a high RPM. A stuck valve, broken off valve head, a valve seized in a tight valve guide, broken valve spring, or a foreign object entering the combustion chamber did this damage.   

Here is how you can tell if it was detonation: Excessive heat caused by advanced ignition timing, or a lean burn mixture are the 2 most probable causes of detonation.  The piston would have heat damage, melted aluminum, burn holes through the piston. 

Go back and look at that piston, no burn holes or melting. The damage is angular crush damage. If it were overheated the piston would show melting damage.

I can probably find some denotation damaged pistons in the shop. I went to the shop and this is the first piston I picked up.  Notice the aluminum is melted, the combustion flame overheated the piston and at the weakest point, it blew past the piston ring and melted the top of the piston, which allowed the piston skirt to be overheated.

Detonation can ruin a piston very quickly.  But the angular damage to this poster's piston was done by an object not heat, not detonation. We do this work everyday and see al types of damage. 

IMG_1207.JPG

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1