For Sale: 51 packard funeral coach - $3,200 (Sanford, Michigan)

2 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Engine pic sure looks like a Monte, which I think came with the longest fan shroud ever!

I like this Packard. Cool car. I’m glad it’s not nearby. 

I am glad it's not nearby either.  Ever see "The Hearse"? Pre slasher 70s horror at it's best   This just might be that Packard...

• Haha 2

The front seat is out of a 1970s GM hearse/ambulance. Looks like maybe Superior body. 

The Packard is a "3-way" sideloading hearse. The goodie on this car is the casket table. A hearse is useless without it, but is commonly removed and lost when someone makes it into a station wagon. 

The fact that it is there (and the glass is all there) makes the restoration of this hearse no more difficult than a passenger car in the same condition.

A lot of stuff on a professional are made from unobtainaium. Glass and the hearse/ambulance related interior parts are what makes or breaks a professional car restoration. If they are gone, then it nothing but a parts car. (if that) 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Back in the 60's, bands would buy old hearses like this and load all their equipment into them and drive to gigs. Neil young had a couple of Buick hearses, both of which he named Mort. 

I was probably fifteen, when I saw some band pull into a gas station in an old hearse with The Critters painted on the side. I thought it was the famous Newark, NJ band that had all the hits, but it was friends of theirs, a band named Alan Vallone & The Spirits, who borrowed the The Critters' hearse for the night. Still pretty cool.