Best driving 1930-1934 cars

Den41Buick

On 12/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, edinmass said:

Congratulations on buying a very fine automobile. Please……never ever haul a car in a small trailer like that backwards.  It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

I expect you will have a lifetime of enjoyment with that machine. They are fantastic drivers and seldom change hands. It’s almost like driving a modern car………..I’m certain you will be smiling for days. Enjoy! Ed

Thanks Ed. The seller delivered the car to me. I thought I would see the back end of the car when he dropped the gate. I don’t plan on trailering this car at all. It was purchased to be driven. The way it should be.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 11:45 AM, edinmass said:

never ever haul a car in a small trailer like that backwards.  It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

The trailer is too short to get the real weight of the vehicle in the proper position related to trailer axle location when it is loaded backwards.

If there was enough length ahead of the axle to get the weight further forward, it would be OK, but as you pointed out, the trailer is too short for that.

My guess is the trailer was pretty squirrely going down the highway with the car loaded that way.

• Like 3

Another car that is a real driver and meets the needs suggested  would be a 1934 Dodge Mine is a DT but I believe DR and DS have similar features.

The 2 door version has a sliding drivers seat which candle the larger folks.... I am 6 ft 2"

It has independent front wheel suspension

Flat head 6 engine which was used iby Mopar until the early 50s

regular bearimgs.

drives 50 to 55 all day. I drove mine from canada to california on a 3 week trip.... the only issue was i wore a brush out on the generator.

i gave owned my DT for over 50 years

They are a great car

FYI

I'd definitely agree with the statement that anything from the Chrysler family with a Straight 8 is a easy drive in modern traffic. I have a Dodge Brothers DK-8  and while it only has the smaller 282 ci 8 cylinders comparted to the Imperials, it does keep up with traffic very nicely and with four wheel hydraulic brakes it stops quite quickly when needed for a car of its weight. Only issue is the Stromberg Carburetor isn't the greatest and MPG is low, but I've found a replacement carburetor to put on this winter that Chrysler fokes say greatly improves the performance. 

1932 Dodge Brothers.jpg

• Like 2

Your 1934 Auburn Series 850 will be a very nice experience as far as comparability to a "modern" automobile - they are not expensive cars in luxury field (more of a Buick range of car in the GM realm), though they offer good quality, nice Horsepower, good mechanical design leaning toward progresssive, nice transmission gearing, Columbia two speed axel, Ross steering, aircraft tube shocks, and cost reductions removed cumbersome weight which allows for exceptionally nice handling.   And, the Convertible Sedans are all steel body construction (albeit the Cabriolet is quite dashing). 

5521698828_4a6993a57b_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Now we will have Ed chiming in about the ball bearings in the spring shackles. 

And the  muffler bearings as well, and the ball bearings in the crank hole cover. A.J. did Ed tell you not to mention that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Now we will have Ed chiming in about the ball bearings in the spring shackles. 

Laughing !!!

Ed told me late in the game - there are a whole bunch more predecessors to Ed on the PA quality topic.   

Sidenote:  Ed is quite the Duesenberg advocate too and may just be one of the Keys of Keys to getting new owners behind the wheels. 

Ed may also single handedly responsible for every single White that does not get stuffed into a dark corner.

Ed may also prove to be the savior of Stearns Knights (or any Knight engine) - something way out of sight out of mind.

And, guessing mid-30's Buick popularity may rise a little too

:)

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2022 at 4:20 AM, Kblake said:

Only issue is the Stromberg Carburetor isn't the greatest and MPG is low, but I've found a replacement carburetor to put on this winter that Chrysler fokes say greatly improves the performance. 

I can’t imagine any of the high performance big cars have decent mpg, anything above 10 is probably doing pretty good