Very Early Frame

Steven Meixner

What do we have on right end, appear to be curved spring saddles although that does not make sense? The bar and cotter pin at cross ember is for what? I see running board brackets appear to be cast to take a RB support rod across underneath of car (my '31 Chevrolet had one on those, although I know it is not of that vintage). Those unusual heavy powertrain side supports (motor/bellhousing/trans) should tell us something? More to this story than meets the eye!

Cantilevered rear spring makes sense (curved saddles in OP may be upside down) but based on overall frame length of 106", that would still leave wheelbase about 80" or so (assuming springs are 30" long (14"-15" either side of axle), which is pretty short, and this photo just posted appear to have at least 105"-115" WB. Likely a very short early car. Suggest looking for something with about an 80" WB like this 1904 Wilson Pilcher (British).

1904 Wilson Pilcher 12 16hp phaeton.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
added pictures (see edit history)

I'm inclined to agree with 1912Staver, that it had a 2-cylinder horizontal opposed engine. The rear spring mount does not mean it had to have a transverse spring. It could have had what they called a "platform" spring...with the ends supporting the conventional half elliptic springs.