pre war classics

31 LaSalle

https://www.classiccarclub.org/approved-classics 

What is in and what is out has been a source of discussion, argumentation, debate and discontent since 1954 (the year after the club was formed) 

A suggestion is made it is brought to a committee and basically brought to a vote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

But once in guys, no one is aware of any models removed, correct? 

Correct. Before something is accepted as a Full Classic all the attributes are brought to the committee. Original cost, quality of materials and design. Use of parts on lessor makes/models. Comparison with its competitors. Who WERE the competitors and target market?  Etc. It is not a snap decision. 

There is a process to accept single vehicles. Typically these are custom bodies on standard chassis. 

There are some Coachbuilt bodies that were ORIGINALLY mounted on Packard 120-110 chassis.

There is a 1932 Plymouth that wears a Brewster town car body that is a Full Classic. (no other 1932 Plymouth is accepted as a Full Classic) 

A problem developed with Classics in race car form. They were accepted, but that was later stopped. A big part of the Classic world is the elegance of the body.

The thought of removing a (heavy) sedan/limo body and suddenly having a show field filled with "speedsters" was not palatable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I’ve been contemplating a motion to drop Pierce Arrow.

edit:  😇

Let's see how long it takes Ed to notice...

• Like 3

As a past CCCA member I had forgotten about the racers.  Good direction I think as they are better served by other clubs and not what one thinks of when you hear "Full Classic".  You think ACD, Packard, etc.  Maybe PA less so... 😉😁

When I was a member of CCCA ( for 45 years) before I left I was on the national board and on the committee that had to investigate and decide what cars/models etc were or weren't going to be recognized and added to the "OK" list . A lot of diligent ( at the time) work was done by those of us who had access to period information ( guess who that was?) and discussions were held. What I never agreed with was the description "FULL" classic - as opposed to what half full? 3/4 full?  I will not comment further about the organization , they are what they are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Does anyone care to go into the details on the race car ban mentioned above? This one was good enough to win Best in Show at Pebble Beach years ago. 

Bob 

644773.jpg

Bob,  the Mormon Meteor has full road equipment so that is not what they are talking about.   My Stutz might be a more interesting question but I never tried.    I think the race car thing is more about a Classic Chassis that is a full blown race car like the Reo Royale that run in the junk forumla days.

INDYCAR SERIES Photo Gallery

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, alsancle said:

If you go to the CCCA website. They have a list of what they consider approved Classics. Typically very expensive cars built between 1925 and 1948.

there are many threads on the subject if you search around.

We took in a lot of things to 1915 (and that was nice as a whole group of luxury cars 1915 to 1925 that had little to no club representation or activities). 

• Like 4