Window Glass Bug

Shootey

Is anyone aware of auto glass shops that install bugs?  A bug is the words and symbols on each piece of glass containing the original glass company and date of production. For example my 1941 Buick might have a bug that says LOF and 4-41. LOF is the glass company and 4-41 means the glass was produced  in April of 1941. 

in the 1990’s I went to a glass company in Castro Valley, California that put bugs on the glass I purchased for my 1938 Buick. I’m unaware of any glass company currently doing bugs. 

Maybe you can do it yourself.  You can buy Armour glass etching cream on Amazon and EZScreenPrint film to make a stencil.  You just need the proper artwork as used for the 1941 period.  Here are a couple of LOF logos as used about that time.  If you get the Armour etching cream, be extremely careful and wear nitrile gloves as the cream has hydrofluoric acid that can give you terrible burns.  

1534592340_LOFdate_code1.jpg.6a02db1abf28a6e82db9f5a5eb4f5365.jpg

2075340913_LOF1940datecode.jpg.7626d1c80b32dc5ea4e369f8f353396c.jpg

That's what I did. Used a photo sensitive scrim to make LOF stencils and etching cream. I believe OEM bugs were abrasive blasted. A glass shop has to be licensed by the logo copyright owner. Awhile back the charge by a glass shop was $50 per.

There used to be a guy that made and sold logo stencils and etching cream kits. He was shut down by lawyers for one of the glass companies. Too bad. The stencils were cheap and worked very well............Bob

1 hour ago, Gary_Ash said:

Post a photo and let's see what you have.  I may have some artwork that can be used.  What date do you want it to say?

56 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

That's what I did. Used a photo sensitive scrim to make LOF stencils and etching cream. I believe OEM bugs were abrasive blasted. A glass shop has to be licensed by the logo copyright owner. Awhile back the charge by a glass shop was $50 per.

There used to be a guy that made and sold logo stencils and etching cream kits. He was shut down by lawyers for one of the glass companies. Too bad. The stencils were cheap and worked very well............Bob

I’ll take a picture later today. It’s 1941 but I don’t know the month without looking at the car which Is not at my house. Thanks to all. 

Here are two different bugs from my 1941 Buick Estate Wagon. The Super Shat R Proof is the on the rear window I want to replace. The LOF one with the 4-41 date is from the rear quarters. I would prefer the Super shat r proof one but it is probably more scarce  Hercules build the wagons so the glass may have been sourced separately from Buick  F2A99980-6B2D-427A-AF33-5B83373E82C3.jpeg.0ccc8355fbb4fbe9e07bf2e5b84048c9.jpegFBE8F32A-A507-4945-B4D5-F04A7FFF44C9.jpeg.558fb7cf4366e1a4bfba11623f1c1064.jpeg

I don't have any artwork for the Shat-R-Proof glass, but I was able to rearrange some LOF artwork to match your side window.  It seems every LOF logo I see photos of have a slightly different design and, as you'll see in your photo and the image below, the "A" occasionally gets flipped sideways..  You should be able to download the photo and resize it to make a stencil.  Good luck!

1634725729_Buick1941LOFbug.jpg.53b3b2d4cbda8784c8112ba8dab01700.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, you got me going on this.  Here is a Super Shat-R-Proof bug design created from a bitmap image to match the design of your original back glass.  It will probably be OK when you make a small stencil for the bug..

120083790_SuperShat-R-Prooflogo1941-2.jpg.6f235a4ed244562925f1296cd6f7db7c.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash
slight adjustment in image (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work, Gary. The only thing I might add, beside the nitrile gloves, is mask off a wide margin around the stencil. The cream only has to be on the glass for a few seconds to start marking it.............Bob

Gary, You are amazing.  I looked at all six of my side windows and there are three different bug styles. Two of the same style are identical in the sense that the left is the same as the right which means that the right one is readable (not backwards) from the inside whereas the left one is readable from the outside. Thank you. 

That's because the original etching (using fine sand blasting) was all done on the same side as the windows came down the production line.  During installation in the the car, one bug winds up on the outside, one on the inside because the left and right sides must be the same shape and orientation.

On your glass, what is the actual size of the bug on the back window?  I printed one out about 1" long and it looked OK.  You'll need the EZPrintScreen material with high definition to do your bugs.  Look at the mini stencil material.  

https://www.ezscreenprint.com/collections/diy-screen-printing-stencils-hidef

My wife has used her Cricut Machine to make stencils and then etched into glass with etching cream. (bought in a craft store). Armour etch.

Do you know any one with a Cricut machine.  

there are videos on YouTube.

Gary, I will measure the bug today. 31 Plymouth, I don’t know anyone. One thing I realize is that I should do practice runs before I commit to the real thing. Also I have not removed the glass from the car yet and I’m not quite sure of the process on a woodie. I do have a Hercules parts brochure with exploded renderings so I should be ok. 

Here are the measurements: Super Shat R Proof 5/8 wide 1/2 high; HI-TEST SAFETY SHEET 1 1/4 wide 9/16 wide. The third version of a bug is Safetee GLASS ASWS. . Attached is a picture of it. It’s measurement is 1/2 wide 1/2 high. 

The two front doors have different bugs. The left one has HI-TEST SAFETY SHEET and the right one has Safetee GLASS ASWS. I suppose that should allow me to use on the rear door or doors any of the three that would be easiest to execute. 

C670531C-831F-4E53-B53B-2860EECDBC48.jpeg

It seems strange that you have a different bug in almost every window.  With the bug 5/8" to 1-1/4" wide, that will make the width of the letter strokes on the order of 0.015" wide - and maybe a few details even skinnier.  I don't have a Cricut, but I don't think it will cut vinyl that fine and allow you to "weed" the cuts.  The high-definition EZPrintScreen photosensitive material is 160 mesh silk screen (160 threads per inch each way, probably 0.001" threads) and even that is pushing the boundaries of resolution for a small bug.  Not many other choices, though, for what you want to do.  You'll need a 5X or 6X eye loupe to inspect your screen after developing.  And, wear safety goggles when applying the etching cream and washing it off, in addition to the nitrile gloves.

I have seen an ink pad used to make them with what I believe is Hydrochloric acid to make the etching. 

I am confident that the glass is all original. Bear in mind that the bodies were built by Hercules. Only 850 were made in 1941. It was the first year Hercules built for Buick. Maybe that was the reason for seemingly random glass installation. 

Are these bugs smaller than those you have previously worked with, Gary?

The sizes seem right, much like I have seen on my old cars.  I did go looking this week at my 1941 Studebaker Commander sedan, found no bugs on windshield or side glass, so all that was apparently replaced by the previous owner who did the fine restoration.  The rear glass, which is curved, did have a bug that said Herculite.  After a little time at Google, I discovered that Herculite is a heat-tempered glass, not laminated, was made by PPG.  Tempered glass was introduced in the late 1930s.  It's 4X tougher than annealed plate or sheet, breaks into small cubes when hit hard, but not permitted for windshields in the U.S, only side or back glass.  Safetee Glass was a division of Chromalloy in King of Prussia, PA, made laminated glass.

I had helped someone a few years back who wanted to put an LOF logo on some replacement glass, made some artwork using my CAD and photo-editing software.  Beyond that and your Buick, I know little about glass bugs.  It is strange that Hercules Body Co. put glass from several suppliers into your car.  The company must have shopped those parts around to get the cheapest price and mixed the inventory.  Here's the interesting Hercules story:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/hercules/hercules.htm

Edinmass's comments about using a rubber stamp make good sense.  You can Google "custom rubber stamps" to find a company that can turn the artwork into a rubber stamp, maybe for $10 or less.  It would save a lot of work for you.  Spread a little etch cream on a scrap piece of glass, tap the stamp in the cream, and press it on your window.  A little practice on scrap parts should get you there quickly.  Interesting approach!

Here is one of many rubber stamp companies that Google turned up:  https://www.rubberstamps.com/

Gary's chemistry is right - glass is etched with hydrofluoric acid.  It's much more dangerous than hydrochloric. 

LOF's trademarks (and Pilkington's Triplex) are now owned by Nippon Sheet Glass.  US headquarters is still the LOF site in Northwood (Toledo), OH.  They offer aftermarket glass.  I don't know how aggressively they defend the trademarks.

6 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I looked at the one window on my 35 that had the "bug" and it said SAFETY gagc GLASS dot 55 m-13 AS-2. Nowhere was 1935 etched so I don't know if it's original or not.

I looked up dot -55 and said it was made in Elk Grove,Illinois.

For anyone putting bugs on replacement glass, be sure to locate it where it will be seen. If it is located too low, it will be below the visible portion of the glass. Ideally, you should locate it by using your original glass or someone else’s as a template for the new bug positioning. 

On 6/17/2022 at 11:17 AM, Buick35 said:

I looked at the one window on my 35 that had the "bug" and it said SAFETY gagc GLASS for 55 m-13 AS-2. Nowhere was 1935 etched so I don't know if it's original or not.

I think those specs are way too new for 1935.  M-13 is the manufacturer's material code, and AS-2 designates that the glass is laminated with a vinyl laminate of .015" thickness.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:12 PM, Shootey said:

Is anyone aware of auto glass shops that install bugs?  A bug is the words and symbols on each piece of glass containing the original glass company and date of production. For example my 1941 Buick might have a bug that says LOF and 4-41. LOF is the glass company and 4-41 means the glass was produced  in April of 1941. 

in the 1990’s I went to a glass company in Castro Valley, California that put bugs on the glass I purchased for my 1938 Buick. I’m unaware of any glass company currently doing bugs. 

On 6/7/2022 at 7:58 AM, Bhigdog said:

In California busses are subject to inspection by the California Highway Patrol.  The side windows that raise up and down frequently get broken.  Local glass shops cut new windows for these openings.  The CHP will not allow a bus to pass inspection without the proper BUG on each window.  The stock sheets of glass (depending on dimensions) come with a manufacturer's bug on opposite corners.  This goes back to the traditional shape of front doors on passenger vehicles.  You could cut two door glasses out of one piece of glass if you "nest" them---flip one pattern over.  A sloping front edge of a doorglass produces waste, unless you "nest" them on one piece.  This gives you a BUG on the bottom rear corner of each glass. 

In the 1990's the California Glass Association came out with their "Bug-It" program.  A glass shop had to register their company (and lots of legal stuff) and they would be issued their own DOT number with a rubber stamp.  This would allow them to fabricate and install glass with a proper BUG, certifying that the glass is of the proper specs.  This program went nowhere and was discontinued.

Legally, all auto glass needs to have the DOT number of the manufacturer on the glass, plus the AS-1 designation for windshields, or AS-2 for side glass and backglass.

California passenger vehicles are not subject to inspections.  Most modern autoglass shops in California don't know or worry about this when cutting glass for vintage vehicles.  Probably not an issue---just don't give a CHP officer a reason to go over your vintage ride with a fine-tooth comb.  In other states, YMMV.

Ahh, rubber stamp shops.  Seems every town used to have one.  Kinda like camera stores, they've mostly disappeared.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Gary_Ash said:

The sizes seem right, much like I have seen on my old cars.  I did go looking this week at my 1941 Studebaker Commander sedan, found no bugs on windshield or side glass, so all that was apparently replaced by the previous owner who did the fine restoration.  The rear glass, which is curved, did have a bug that said Herculite.  After a little time at Google, I discovered that Herculite is a heat-tempered glass, not laminated, was made by PPG.  Tempered glass was introduced in the late 1930s.  It's 4X tougher than annealed plate or sheet, breaks into small cubes when hit hard, but not permitted for windshields in the U.S, only side or back glass.  Safetee Glass was a division of Chromalloy in King of Prussia, PA, made laminated glass.

I had helped someone a few years back who wanted to put an LOF logo on some replacement glass, made some artwork using my CAD and photo-editing software.  Beyond that and your Buick, I know little about glass bugs.  It is strange that Hercules Body Co. put glass from several suppliers into your car.  The company must have shopped those parts around to get the cheapest price and mixed the inventory.  Here's the interesting Hercules story:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/hercules/hercules.htm

Edinmass's comments about using a rubber stamp make good sense.  You can Google "custom rubber stamps" to find a company that can turn the artwork into a rubber stamp, maybe for $10 or less.  It would save a lot of work for you.  Spread a little etch cream on a scrap piece of glass, tap the stamp in the cream, and press it on your window.  A little practice on scrap parts should get you there quickly.  Interesting approach!

Here is one of many rubber stamp companies that Google turned up:  https://www.rubberstamps.com/

Dose the rubber on the stamp hold up to the etching cream?

Markngard.com sells a kit for $100 to put antique bugs on your glass. The company mainly does stencils to etch vins on modern car windows for security. Their website discusses their need for artwork in order to make a stencil. The site has a YouTube tutorial on the process of doing the etching. 

The fordbarn.com website forum has an entry showing a step-by-step procedure of doing a bug etching. It refers to a vendor which sells bug etching kits for early Fords. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, Shootey said:

Markngard.com sells a kit for $100 to put antique bugs on your glass. The company mainly does stencils to etch vins on modern car windows for security. Their website discusses their need for artwork in order to make a stencil. The site has a YouTube tutorial on the process of doing the etching. 

I purchased the Markngard stencil and etching cream kit for $60 using Gary’s artwork. I did the application on my new glass yesterday. It worked beautifully. Thanks everyone but especially Gary. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, Shootey said:

I purchased the Markngard stencil and etching cream kit for $60 using Gary’s artwork. I did the application on my new glass yesterday. It worked beautifully. Thanks everyone but especially Gary. 

I ordered mine from them yesterday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shooter, Are you still looking for a source?  I talked with a man this evening who does custom glass etching and thinks he can do this.  

• 4 months later...

Hi , bringing this back up ,

I  looked at Markngard.com and the video and it seems pretty simple  for just a VIN ID , 

But I need to do  "Bugs" for a VW bus that we had new glass cut and tempered without a "bug"

Has anyone used the Rubber Stamp , if so how long does the Rubber Stamp last ,  each bus has 10-12 pieces of glass , 

Or is there a company that prints the "Bug"  decals in a roll of 50-100 .

Thanks for your help