Ever seen tubular shocks on a '38 rear suspension? What do I replace them with?

Pete Phillips

Just took this tubular shock off of a 1938 Buick Special's rear suspension. I'm not going crazy, am I? This car should have had lever-type shocks on it. I need to replace the pair of these and don't know what to ask for! Car has been off the road since the mid-1960s, so I"m sure these shocks are older than that. Delco 1100S-2-E-6-6-C-3 is the number on them. Anybody familiar with these or know where I can get a pair?

Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX.

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

No, 1938 Buicks used tubular rear shocks. They must not have been too good, because Buick switched back to lever actions shocks after 1938 and continued with lever action shocks for many years. Bob's has them. https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/suspension-steering/1938-rear-shock-absorber-rsa-38/

Despite the color of the photo on their website, when I ordered a pair, they were black like the originals.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NO - NO - NO    The tubular shocks on the 1938 Buicks were standard.    Those are available at a regular auto parts  shop.   I will look the p/n's up and post them.   These are very good shocks and cost way less than lever shocks.    The fronts are lever style and those style are used until the muddle 60's.     The original tubulr shocks were rebuildable but only were used on the '38 Buicks.   

Thanks, all. I found some replacements at the local auto parts store today--hooray. I certainly did not know the '38s had tubular shocks on the rear. Learned something new!

Gotta love these public forums--they expose your knowledge as well as your weaknesses to everyone !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Actually, the '38 tubular shocks can be disassembled and rebuilt, provided the main rod is in good shape. It is quite a chore.

It takes a special spanner wrench to get the big nut off the main chamber.

The shaft seal can be replaced, but getting the shock seled up is a chore.

I have rebuilt the original shocks on both my '38s and they work fine.

Not for the feint of heart.

• Like 2