1909-10 rear end

From the MTFCA online encyclopedia:  https://www.mtfca.com/model_t_encyclopedia/p-r/

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way down the page for the rear axle section.

Here is a link to a post on the MTFCA forum of a 1910 axle:

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24877

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=21857

I think 1910 axles came from Ford with the straight  axle ends and matching hubs.  The hubs were pinned to the axles and the pins were retained by the hubcaps.  Many people substitute later tapered axle shafts and matching tapered hubs when they rebuild their old axles.

• Like 1

West welcome to the model t fun.   Model t tours are some of the most fun.   Just start looking for thr rear end we call the six rivet,  the number of rivets that hold the axle tubes to the center housing.  They are out there, used until mid 11 with minor changes.  You will not see the straight axles so I would look for either,  tapered axles would be more reliable.   Mtfca forum is very helpful.   See you in viginia beach.  Don

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Thank you. Whoa!! I have got a LOT to learn.

Model J Duesenbergs are easier to do authentically than a Ford T. Been there, done that. If you even have one wrong bolt…….in the world of Ford………you will know about it………. Whether you want to or not!

2 hours ago, 3makes said:

From personal experience, stay away from Fords. There are more experts than there are cars.

That is the best line I have heard in the hobby for the last 25 years!  Bravo!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 3makes said:

From personal experience, stay away from Fords. There are more experts than there are cars.

The popularity of Fords has led them to be probably the most documented antiques out there.   I have the Model T and A judging standards.  Year by year and sometimes month by month changes to the kind of bolt used to  fasten the widget to the johnson rod are documented in detail.  Blue ribbon judging at national meets  really gets down into the weeds, unlike most other makes where if the color, interior, tires and engine are correct for the car you win a prize.  Now, I admit that sometimes Ford guys can tend to be know-it-alls when it comes to their cars, but that's the environment we live in if you want to show your car competitively.   But these judging standards can be a real blessing if you do care about the bolt for widget on the johnson rod, and once you go through the bother of looking it up you tend to remember that it's a  raven finish, hex head, 1/4-20  5/8 with a 3/8 head.

Edited by Pete O (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't always choose to make everything on my 1924 Model T Ford 100% correct, but I'm glad that somebody makes the effort to establish what is correct so that being correct or not IS a matter of choice.  :)

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, being a T owner, some people can get real persnickety over things, even if it is not a show car. LOL I would say, if the rear end is newer and you plan on driving the car, rebuild the one you have. The correct one will set you back a good chunk of green. The 3rd link cudaman posted, is more in line with current price. If anyone says anything, just tell them you are saving up to buy the correct one. :)

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, 3makes said:

I like that!

MTFCI judging standards can be tough! The MTFCA doesn't do car judging (much?), and is more about the tours and driving and enjoying the cars and the history that surrounds them.

Like cudaman says, I am glad some people make the effort to document all the changes so that people can make the choice whether to detail to the nth degree or not.

My only real problem with all that persnicketiness is that Ford did not follow those judging guidelines when they built the dang cars! Written records can give good reference to changes made and when. However, changes were not always made in a timely manner. Most changes had considerable overlap when both the newer and older variation were being used. This was especially true around the late brass era as ramping up production resulted in delays of parts availability. For more than four months, Ford was producing both 1914 and 1915 (major differences!) style open cars!

Original era photos often show combinations of parts that today would be considered wrong! Of course, SOME of those photos could show a car that had had the parts changed for some reason? But all of them?

Written records often say certain parts would no longer be used after some point. However, surviving cars and parts by the thousands along with hundreds of era photographs say the written record is wrong.

The MTFCI judging crowd (I know some of them!) have done a fine job of sorting through the mountains of conflicting information to give a pretty good picture of what is right or wrong. But Ford built many thousands (maybe millions???) of cars that were exceptions to the rule.

Personally, I do try to get my cars closer to "right". But I don't go nuts over it. Frankly, I don't know very many model T people that do go nuts over that stuff.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...