1953 Roadmaster with most of the options

The Case dozer is done and back outside.Enough ran last week fire dance is all but gone will be able to use it now.  I am ready to get  back to other projects that start with a B

Did a bit of car things this weekend a long time friend brought his Model A to a lot and gave the grand kids rides.  I even gave it a go,I am now a qualified Model A driver good times.

I hope the grandkids catch the car bug: I have said good grades good behavior. If and when they go to the prom they could use the same car I used to take  their grandmother to the prom.

Car club had a special day today big turnout. One member is 100 years wise they brought down a 100 year old Dodge for a spin with him inside, news crew even showed up. He gets around good and is still sharp’ he is a Navy man flew Dauntless dive bombers in WWII. I was told he even went flying today. 

This is Vince in the drivers seat and by the right headlight with a helping hand. 

Steve 

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

• Like 7

It’s winter and it rains here in the northwest. I almost always open the hood and unhook the battery when I make a stop that is very long.

I use the twist type battery  switch.  I am trying this remote batt switch, I have a key fob like a new car that will disconnect the battery. Now I will not be in the rain under the hood fumbling with the knob on the battery switch. Be interesting to see how long this works, not heavy duty by any means.  It is rated at 500 amp draw. Clean up a few things  route the small wires and I will be back on the road.

Now new wiper blades and I am set for winter driving.

I had a call last night  from a gent in Eugene same town I live in. He has a 53 RM 2 door power everything and he wants it gone  a load of parts. Just what I needed more 53 Buick’s. I will call my therapists first she is in the house. 

Steve 

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

• Like 4

Repaired the radio antenna I thought the coax was the issue turned out the antenna connection to coax was it. The coax was not making good contact at the clip at the end of the coax. I cleaned everything up with a scotch brute added tension to the clip that holds the end of the coax. I also cleaned the tube that the rod that moves the antenna goes through. The rubber square plug with the brass clip also had paint on it from a years ago paint job. The rubber plug is old and hard tough to work with. Radio works great now antenna just needs tuned with the adjustment on the radio.

This work corrected the issue I had with poor reception and a scratching noise when you hit a bump. Here are pictures of the setup for anyone having the same issue last one out of focus did not see this until it was assambled. 

Steve

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The cars that have surrendered parts for my projects had these in the rear springs. I have never seen an air bag inside a coil spring in action. Looks to me they would help when you have a load in the trunk without lifting the rear.

Can you still purchase these if so who is the vendor. Another option is replacing rear springs this might be the best choice. I am trying to keep the ride and trying to avoid tail dragging when loaded with spare parts and luggage.

Thanks for any tips 

Steve

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0249.jpeg

On 11/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, 195354 said:

The cars that have surrendered parts for my projects had these in the rear springs. I have never seen an air bag inside a coil spring in action. Looks to me they would help when you have a load in the trunk without lifting the rear. Can you still purchase these if so who is the vendor . . . 

I recall that Firestone was a popular brand for these airbags that was often mentioned in the 1950-1960s Rod & Custom magazine era. 

https://www.firestoneairide.com/

Thanks everyone looks like the universal kit is in order. Will price this out 1000 pound capacity is a pretty good bump in capacity. Spare parts luggage and a passenger or two in the back seat. This should avoid the overloaded look.
Now research cruise control 

Steve

I contacted the vender Friday I asked for Tech support. I had the pleasure of talking with one of the staff members that is building cars at home. He asked for a few pictures and a few other questions about the car. He also  asked about sharp items in the spring mounting.  I sent him pictures This weekend. He will work on the project and see what they have that can fit my needs. He was sick Friday I was his last call for the week. I will see what they come up with.  I will add a few pictures that show a sharp object for everyone.  They are from my other project same chassis. My RM is not this clean down under. 

Steve 

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on adding air bags in the springs. After working with Tech support at Air lift Company they don’t have a direct fit that will work in this application. They offer a universal kit but the air inlet is an issue in this application. I would  be drilling in places I would like to avoid. I will say they did put effort in coming up with a solution. 

I ordered rear coil springs today from Coil spring Specialties located in Kanas. I have purchased springs from them in the past. They are easy to talk with in helping you come up  with a solution.

The rear will rise about 3/4” unladen. It is sitting low in the back now this will make the car look better in my opinion. 

I will have a variable rate as the spring compresses starting out at +15%. The ride quality will be just a touch different hardly noticeable I am told. Springs should be here in about six weeks. I will install them and see how I like the ride. 

Steve 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:01 AM, 195354 said:

I ordered rear coil springs today from Coil spring Specialties located in Kanas. I have purchased springs from them in the past. They are easy to talk with in helping you come up  with a solution.

Good to hear that they are still helping.  40+ years ago I put some of their springs on my 55...a little heavier than stock and they are still working with no sag.

I am Glad they are around. They have drawings or prints that go back into the 30s for the old cars if not further.

I was working with a very helpful gent. It sounds like the next generation will keep at it. They roll the wire and form as needed then send it out for heat treat. Sounds like they keep busy with the small orders, it is what they specialize in. They can and do larger orders.  Off road folks call them and folks that are doing some unusual things on cars and trucks. 

Steve 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Question for those that are driving cars with vacuum wipers and a vacuum window washer system. The RM has no window washer system that operates at this time. The wiper motor has been converted over to electric operation. I have driven cars with vacuum wipers as you would think they would stop when vacuum dropped. That car did not have a double action fuel pump.   My question is When everything is in top shape and you have a double action fuel pump how do the wipers work on hills. I also see kits to repair the windshield washer pump how do they work out too those that have repaired the pumps.

My issue with the electric wiper motor is the switch, it’s ugly last owner mounted it in a spot that’s hard to get too at least the dash wasn’t drilled. I am exploring going back to a vacuum motor and pump if they work well enough when everything is correct. This will eliminate the ugly switch syndrome.

l could add an electric pump for the washer system but it’s another ugly item to install.

thanks in advance for the information 

Steve

I had the 56 wiper motor rebuilt by Fickens wiper service,  on Long Island, NY. It worked faithfully on the hills in PA while going home from the Morgantown meet. Some of those hills were miles long and gradual, some were short and steep.  They worked regardless. I haven't messed with the washer system, yet. 

• Like 2

FWIW, if the electric motor works well and the ugly switch is the issue, I'd look for a rotary switch that could replace the original vacuum switch and use the original knob.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrV44vgRQQLvTQmNix2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The Roadmaster has a fair amount of wind noise the drivers door at the  top. The flipper seal body to flipper is a falling apart. You can purchase these seals. I would like to replace the window felt in the flipper. A very small SS rivets hold it in place any tips on tooling and procedure and a vendor that sells the rivets will be greatly appreciated. Calling them a rivet could be incroect they are more like a brazier head. 

Thanks 

Steve 

IMG_0911.jpeg

On 2/11/2024 at 7:11 AM, JohnD1956 said:

I had the 56 wiper motor rebuilt by Fickens wiper service,  on Long Island, NY. It worked faithfully on the hills in PA while going home from the Morgantown meet. Some of those hills were miles long and gradual, some were short and steep.  They worked regardless. I haven't messed with the washer system, yet. 

That's what I did on mine and they work very well now, again. As long as the vacuum booster side of the fuel pump is working properly though.

8 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

That's what I did on mine and they work very well now, again. As long as the vacuum booster side of the fuel pump is working properly though.

Did you have to replace your fuel pump too? I will keep that in mind.  I am afraid to think about the age on my fuel pump. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recived the rear springs from Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas a few weeks back. Finally got around to installing them and I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Took a few measurements at the bottom of the license plate. 
With an empty trunk, it was at 15 inches. Added 182 pounds of dog food in trunk and it dropped to 13 1/2 inches. Installed the new springs with the 182 pounds in the trunk and it went up to 15 1/2 inches. Removed the weight and it settled at 16 1/2 inches. 
The old rear springs had a 1/2 inch wire, while the new ones have a 5/8 inch wire. Additionally, the new springs are 1 inch shorter, which worried me a bit during the measurements. It'll be interesting to see how it looks and drives with people in the rear seat now. 
- Steve

• Like 2