1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe

I don't usually post cars from BAT because it's an auction format but these Utility Hudsons are so unique! 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1939-hudson-112-utility-coupe-model-90/

This 1939 Hudson 112 is a three-passenger Utility Coupe that houses a slide-out cargo bed in the rear trunk that is equipped with a chain-supported tailgate. The car is finished in beige over matching cloth upholstery, and power comes from a 175ci inline-six paired with a three-speed manual transmission with overdrive. Other features include chrome bumpers with overriders, turn signals, running boards, a painted woodgrain dashboard, and a clock. This Hudson 112 Utility Coupe was acquired by the seller in 2019 and is now offered with an owner’s manual, wiring diagrams, spare parts, and a clean California title.

1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe1939 Hudson 112 Utility Coupe2022-02-23hudson_SM00350-84307-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1365

• Like 1

I believe 1940 was the last year for the utility coupe. Vin number would tell you the model. Gas filler going into the fender and not the body is correct. Painted windshield divider bar is also correct. But that might be on all Hudson 112’s. 1939 was the first year Hudson was stamped into the tailgate, I think? Cool car, there is a 1938 Hudson truck listed on another website for sale. Good looking commercial vehicles.

Interesting car.  I have not seen one before but I don't think the bright orange wheels with 70's style white walls enhance it's look.

The first tailgate stamping in 1938 said "HUDSON TERRAPLANE" (2 lines) because the '38 commercial cars were the Model 80 Hudson Terraplanes.   No more Terra for '39 so the '39 t'gs just say "HUDSON" as did the last utility coupes in '40.  
 '37 and earlier Terraplane Utility coupe t'gs were all plain unstamped.    Many restorers can't resist painting "Terraplane" in some fancy way though on the '37 and earlier vehicles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

The first tailgate stamping in 1938 said "HUDSON TERRAPLANE" (2 lines) because the '38 commercial cars were the Model 80 Hudson Terraplanes.   

Are you saying that there was another '38 version that said "TERRAPLANE", or that '38 was the first year to have any name stamped on it?  Thanks.

image.png.40235538a9e9507237eff4828c63ec74.png

Edited by Jim Skelly (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Are you saying that there was another '38 version that said "TERRAPLANE", or that '38 was the first year to have any name stamped on it?  Thanks.

image.png.40235538a9e9507237eff4828c63ec74.png

Saying '38 first year of any stamping and the only stamping said "Hudson Terraplane" as shown your pic.

39 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

First time I saw one of those was at Keeneland a few years ago. Cool concept. I could use one of those today for my business. When I need a home depot run, pull the bed out and load up!

You would never be able to get out of the parking lot with everyone standing around look at the car and you busy answering questions. 

• Like 1

That’s an original utility coupe Matt sold. Correct tail light, painted cowl vent trim and windshield divider bar. Not sure why the exterior door handles are so sad and looking down. If the latches are not adjusted right the handle will not spring back up. Just slam the doors😉 nice looking car.

The '37 Terraplane Utility series are all Model 70.   Ute coupe, ute 2 door sedan, ute 1/2T pickup, ute sedan delivery, ute woody.   All model 70s.

A "Super Terraplane" is top of the line Model 72.   Front fender badges, two taillights, two interior visors, probably other trinkets.  All body styles except the business coupe.

Yes, the Model 71 was the most common production car with all the basics and majority of the sales.

Terraplane cars were outselling Hudson cars at a clip of about 4 to 1 at this point.   Hudson management wasn't happy about that so the '38s were "Hudson Terraplane" and '39 the Terra was a historic name. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

About the same story when the Essex name was dropped.

Yes, "the Hudson modus operandi.   

1931:   Essex

Early 1932:  Essex

Start July 1932:  Essex-Terraplane

1933:  Essex-Terraplane

1934:  Terraplane  (with the 2-wing hood bird ornament still incorporating the Essex hexagon shape)

1935:  Terraplane  (bird ornament now with just one wing and no hexagon)

Hudson was a little slow about some things!  Or were they?  The Essex had been outselling the Hudson brand so they didn't want to lose those customers.   You may recall "Essex" had been introduced in 1918 as a stand-alone company (Ha).    And now here was Terraplane vastly outselling Hudson so.....

1937:  Terraplane  (with "Terraplane Hudson" on the hubcaps)

1938:  Hudson Terraplane  (with "Hudson Terraplane" on the hubcaps)

We can no longer sit down and interview the guy heading the marketing department.

• Like 3