1914 Ford with sparkplugs mounted at 45 deg to head.????? Whats this about??

mikewest

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Those look like hardware store plumbing fittings. Someone's idea to reduce oil fouling on a worn engine sounds plausible to me too.

Yes, hardware store fittings. Model T spark plugs are pipe thread so an easy modification

• 2 weeks later...

I remember "anti-fouler" fittings for spark plugs in the 70s; my dad had three on a 1968 Chevy 307 that started blowing oil like no tomorrow after having a replacement head installed at 49,880 miles.

Those were straight fittings though. Trying to figure how these 45° elbows got the spark to the cylinder to ignite the mixture, given the limitations of the T ignition system?

On 5/3/2022 at 5:27 PM, rocketraider said:

I remember "anti-fouler" fittings for spark plugs in the 70s; my dad had three on a 1968 Chevy 307 that started blowing oil like no tomorrow after having a replacement head installed at 49,880 miles.

Those were straight fittings though. Trying to figure how these 45° elbows got the spark to the cylinder to ignite the mixture, given the limitations of the T ignition system?

I'v seen those anti foulers too, i'd bet that's what these are being used for. The fitting here is called a street elbow, male on one end and female on the other. You can get them in 45 and 90 degree, never seen a straight fitting though.