53 Olds Hydramatic - what have I done?

stevenwham

Found a beautiful Super 88 - after owning about a week, on a cruise on a deserted country road, decided to "open it up" & see how it would accelerate .. accelerated fine BUT accelerator stuck full open .. initially applied brakes; that didn't help .. as I'm gaining (too much) speed, I shifted from Drive to Neutral .. that created alot of "racket" & I decided that wasn't good (in hindsight that may have been fan belt screeching), so then shifted back to Drive & that seemed to go okay .. then decided to reach down and "unstick" the pedal .. that worked, but the pedal came off in my hand, but I was able to slow the car down & got it home okay .. (pedal on order) .. the next day trans seemed fine until cruising in 4th gear (acceleration through all four gears is fine) at stable throttle, there is a subtle "lurching" in the drivetrain which I would guess is something amiss with 4th gear .. would appreciate your thoughts .. trans was overhauled during restoration 20 years ago, but has minor miles since then .. thank you

olds 1.jpg

olds 2.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 11:23 AM, JACK M said:

That is one nice Olds.

It's funny what goes thru our minds in a quick emergency.

These days you can't just turn off the ignition as it will lock up the steering.

These days you can turn off the ignition without going further on the tumbler to steering wheel lock.

• Like 2

Turn? You mean push the button?🤣

Turn is for AACA eligible cars.....

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1