What is an old trailer worth to the average guy?

I have a well worn 2000 Haulmark 24-foot closed trailer.  Because of my age I've decided not to pull it long distances anymore.  That might be a mistake, but I am 83  years old, and many friends think I shouldn't pull it up I-95 and around Washington and Baltimore anymore, from Florida.  I think I can, but my wife can't drive the the Suburban with the trailer.  Maybe I should give in to her.  It has new new tires with one trip and kept covered all the time.  The suspension is only few years old, featuring slip springs instead of the original torque axles.  When they rubber got old on the torque axles I was blowing out tires one after the other.  The local trailer build/rebuilding company told me the torque springs were worn out.  So he installed "slip springs" which keep the trailer low and no more blown tires.  The trailer needs paint as 22 years outside parking has really taken a toll on the white paint.  I have level bars and an anti-sway bar, and also a heavy duty hitch.  The trailer also has a driver-side second entry door.  Anybody have an idea what I should ask?  I'm open at the moment.  She is still serviceable with good brakes and lights.  Dynaflash8 Sebring, FL (suzybelle39baby@gmail.com)

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Does it have the 7500 pound axles and 16 inch wheels? I think that makes a big difference for a 24 footer.

We have a very heavy 20 footer, built in 1994, with the heavy duty axles and wheels. It’s so old school it belongs in the AACA museum.

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Does it have the 7500 pound axles and 16 inch wheels? I think that makes a big difference for a 24 footer.

We have a very heavy 20 footer, built in 1994, with the heavy duty axles and wheels. It’s so old school it belongs in the AACA museum.

No, still has 15 inch wheels.  I think it does have 7500 pound axles though, but not sure anymore.

Earl,

Your (now sold) trailer had a pair of 3,500 lb axles for a combined gross rating of 7,000 lbs

You surely got your use out of it - congratulations on your many years showing and touring

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Earl,

Your (now sold) trailer had a pair of 3,500 lb axles for a combined gross rating of 7,000 lbs

You surely got your use out of it - congratulations on your many years showing and touring

Marty,

That old trailer had well over 100,000 miles, with newer axles and springs.It probably means this is my last Sentimental Tour with our '39 Buick in attendance.  The trailer body was really getting shaky too.  I would have attempted to pull it to Gettysburg this year, but everybody warned me against it, and Judy was really against it.  Of course, Judy would have supported any decision I made.  One problem is, she doesn't drive the Suburban with the trailer.  It's important to note I'll be 84 a month after the tour.  It was REALLY a hard decision to make.  We're going to take another load of Buick parts to Hershey in October with the Suburban and then we'll sell that too.  I don't think I can afford to pay to have my GNSenior '39 Buick hauled someplace and then hauled back, more than once.  My car is supposed to be on the plaque, so it would be embarrassing to ride with somebody else this time.  Doug & Ronnie Seybold offered us a ride in their '40 Buick, but I think that has to be the next time if we're still living at 85 and 84.  Maybe somebody in Florida or South Georgia will do the 2024 Sentimental Tour, but both places are long drives on I-95, I-75 or I-10.  The guy who is hauling it is a longtime AACA member.  In over sixty years membership I've never run across many, if any, bad people in AACA.  I remember one restorer guy long ago who was kicked out, well before I was on the Board.

Thanks for the kind words Marty. 

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Earl,

You, and Judy are always welcome to share our ride.

It would be hard to imagine you two not being on tour,

or dancing to the band - especially when they play "Sentimental Journey".

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 088.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

Anybody have an idea what I should ask?

A lot of times people ask about buying and selling prices here but no one ever really tells how much they pay or get so it's a hard thing to figure out.

What is wrong with someone telling the price an item sold for, especially if they took the time to ask a group how much the group thought it was worth because they didn't know? Then everyone knows how the market is doing.

Obviously not easy. I see it all the time on here and elsewhere throughout the hobby. Tradition of secrets I guess.

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

A lot of times people ask about buying and selling prices here but no one ever really tells how much they pay or get so it's a hard thing to figure out.

I let a local handyman have it for $2500 with hitch, load bars or sway bar.   Think any at Hershey would want those things?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was thinking 2-3k so that seems like a fair deal all around.

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was thinking 2-3k so that seems like a fair deal all around.

It's early alsancle.  I sold it WITHOUT the hitch and stuff.

Thank you for posting the selling price. Seems like so many things in the hobby have one wondering "How much is that?" and price never gets divulged.

That kind of money would have made it a nice storage unit for my lawn stuff and overflow. My lot is fairly good sized but living in the village would have got me in trouble for sure.

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I let a local handyman have it for $2500 with hitch, load bars or sway bar.   Think any at Hershey would want those things?

I would say you did very well on that old trailer.   I think the buyer did too.   Best deal when everyone is happy.

I'm still towing our 2002 aluminum Aluma car trailer,   Still love it.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

DUH, HE DIDN'T GET THE HITCH LOAD BARS OR NO-SWAY BAR, BUT HE DID GET THE BALLS ON THE TRAILER FOR THOSE.  I THINK SOMEBODY COULD GUY THOSE PIECES AT A  TRAILER SHOP.

Even for a well used enclosed trailer that sounds cheap. They are a lot more than that up here. Last cheap one I looked at near me was $7500.00 and it sold almost at once. And a rather rough old thing at that.

Reasonably new, decent condition ones are usually at or close to the 20 G mark.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:29 AM, alsancle said:

here are a bunch of haulmarks that have sold at auction:

https://www.utilitytrailerstoday.com/listings/auction-results/haulmark/cargo-slash-enclosed-trailers/612

Didn't see one just like yours,  but you can get an idea.

Unbelivable how cheap some of those trailers sold for. Those $400.00 sales would be $3500.00 + all day long around here. { and sold in the first hour they were offered }  Mind you many seem to be 2500 - 3500 miles away and probably not capable of making the trip home even empty.

Been looking for about 4 years now, the cheapest I have ever seen was a rough to start with and seriously crash damaged one for just under $3000.00. Sold within an hour of going up on CL.

Specifically looking for a 16 Ft. enclosed for my Lola race car. In decent condition they are all $12,000 - $20,000. { even 10 years or more old.

A good deal on a "quality" used trailer would be about half the price of a new one.  Just be careful to inspect when you buy.  I recently saw an enclosed car trailer made in GA that made only one trip from GA to OR and it didn't hold up well at all.  Floor supports were bent (maybe overloaded) and the floor itself was only 3/4" particle board that flexed just from walking on it.  Top was flat and would not hold up to snow loads.

• Like 1